My new Gents saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for one prefer the more traditional ferrule - that is a classically beautiful gents saw; lovely!

bugbear":228nfego said:
Harbo":228nfego said:
I too was a bit concerned with the bulbous end, but your photo answers that - it fits the palm! :)
Rod
Seconded - and many thanks for taking the trouble to do the photos, Pedder.
BugBear

I think the saw is smaller than the pictures make you believe. This is a picture of this saw beneth a Wiliam Greaves and a Bahco Gents saw (and a LN #1) from Bernhard's blog

P1060511.JPG

Cheers
Pedder

a fine assembly of saws indeed. I suppose that comes with the job. Look forward to trying the gents saw soon (no rush, when ready). And Pedder, what is the German for cross and rip as I notice letters beneath each saw... hard to make out, might simply be C and R !

Hi Douglas,

That saw now belongs to Bernhard, who didn't want to let her go after a review. He has some nice saws, indeed. And we are proud to hang side to side with Adria and Lie-Nielsen.

Bernhard uses the English words (and acronyms), and so do Klaus and I.
Shorter than "Absetzsäge" (crosscut, absetzen = cut to length) and Schlitzsäge (rip cut, Schlitz = mortise, slit).

Your saw? The handle is ready (the upper one, German Plum)
Alex+new+handles.jpg

and so is the blade. Now I just need to make the spine.

Cheers
Pedder

Hi Pedder - beautiful, v pleased with the German plum, and I liked the idea of the wood coming from where the tool was made. It's going to be a stunner (odd English word but it's good =D>

Just received an email from Veritas announcing their new Gents saws.
$42 each or $75 a pair.
Gone for the plastic spine again - not as pretty as Pedders?

Rod

My Gent's saw arrived today. Very pleased indeed - the workmanship and finish is flawless, and it cuts amazingly. The kerf is very fine, it's easy to start and I need to practice a bit but it tracks perfectly as you would expect.
here it is alongside the Gramercy dovetail for an indication of size.
gs1.jpg

You've seen the detail before, but it is really perfect:
gs2.jpg

The handle is German plum - I chose that because I like it but also like the fact the wood is local to the makers:
gs3.jpg

And the first test cuts (sorry, not all square yet) - the wider kerf is the Gramercy, the Gent's saw is comparable with the finest-kerf Japanese I think.
gs4.jpg

It will make a really good saw for the smaller dovetails, boxes etc - definitely the one I will reach for first.
And at around 110 euros, I think it's actually very good value - it's handmade, you choose the handle material, and I seriously doubt anyone is making a better gents saw, anywhere.
(I had better start selling some stuff because I think a Two Lawyers 'habit' may be taking hold.) Very well done indeed Pedder, Klaus and Alex.

EDIT - just checked, my Japanese rip is about .4mm kerf, the Gents is about .3mm (best I can measure with feelers). Pedder may have more accurate info on this - but for a push saw that cuts oak significantly faster than the Japanese rip-set (with a new blade in) this is quite remarkable I think.

Attachments

• gs1.jpg
    gs1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 790
  • gs2.jpg
    gs2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 790
  • gs3.jpg
    gs3.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 790
  • gs4.jpg
    gs4.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 790
Excellent work Pedder. My own two saws are still giving sterling service - i'd love to order the other saws we talked about but, alas, fundage won't permit. Maybe next year....

Cheers

Karl

Very interesting to see to see a 'western' saw (correct term??) that cuts like that. I have limited hand saw experience but have found the japanese saws great to use, not been able to resharpen the ones I've had tho so put off of buying any more. An alternative that cuts so fine but can be resharpened is very attractive.

(not sure that makes sense, very tired tonight :oops: ).

Makes very good sense to me NoSk. I believe 'western' is the correct term, but I am no big handsaw expert either. The Japanese saws are a revelation from the start... like the first time you listened to music on a Walkman (it's an age thing!). But they are really just good disposables. What Pedder and team have achieved with the blade on this beats me. As for sharpening, I have to say i wouldn't dare try to sharpen the Gramercy or my new Gents. I like that they can be, they like that it won't be by me... ha, ha.

Seems like a visit is in order methinks Douglas.....will call you...can't wait to see the bench and the saw now!

Mind you...best I wait until I can deliver your next tool! :wink:

Jim

Hi Douglas, looks great, congrats on your new tool, shame I missed seeing it in the flesh, will have to be patient and wait for mine to arrive.. I have ordered one with Zebrano handle - bit bling, but it looked great on that saw they had on the website. I have also ordered a fine joinery saw, with the same handle and the oval spine. BTW, have the bench installed and it fits in a treat!! Thanks for the coffee and the workshop tour! Maybe I can return the favour soon!

Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark - zebrano eh? Quite racey I'd say :lol:
pleased the bench fits nicely... but given the size of your workshop I cannot be surprised.
Would like a quick tour of your place one day... and I have an idea for a mobile butchers 'block'... I think the trend away from fully-fitted has real momentum now, esp in London with the early adopters. need a chat!
Pedder's saw will delight you, I have no doubt. I eagerly await a carcase saw but I guess you come first now. No rush, I'm still young =D>
(Reminds me of the late James Krenov who told Ron Hock he'd stopped buying green bananas. Sadly he died a few weeks later.)

I visited Douglas today and had the honour of trying out his new Gent's saw....

Pedder...this is not a masterpiece...it is a veritable miracle!!!! =D>

I simply don't know how you manage to get such tiny teeth...so many...all the same cut...all the same set and all perfectly hardened on one saw! It's magic...it has to be!

If anyone has seen a Japanese saw...look at the teeth again and then think....coarse grade! Comparatively...these are twice as fine...twice as sharp and perfect!

We did a side-by-side test against a very good quality Japanese saw...the kerf is measurably finer, the cut more controlled and consistent...and the speed of cut...even on English oak..simply amazing!

I was cutting dovetails by eye...in solid oak...easily and perfectly with no mark lines and they all looked the same.

This is a truly remarkable tool of outstanding quality....simply outstanding....and a "must have" for any fine cabinet maker.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Jim

Hi Jim,

thank you for your most kind feedback. Very appreciated.

The 20 tpi are not magic, but a lot of manuel training in the past 5 years.
That and good patterns. This is one of the first saws set with the new anvils for the eclipse 77.
I really like the way it works.

Cheers
Pedder

Next time I visit Douglas....I am taking my Nikon 105 micro with me and taking some photos with a scale....

I know that hand/eye coordination can be honed but this level of perfection on such a small scale is simply dumbfounding....

It's witchcraft I tell ya!!! :mrgreen:

Jim

see... it is alarmingly good, Jim says so. I did think so but I needed a second and more objective opinion. These guys might be making the best saws in the world at this time... and no middle-men, just like the very old days with the maker and the user. So their saws are pretty sharp, imagine the courtroom (hammer).

condeesteso":1dwpkye5 said:
see... it is alarmingly good, Jim says so. I did think so but I needed a second and more objective opinion. These guys might be making the best saws in the world at this time... and no middle-men, just like the very old days with the maker and the user. So their saws are pretty sharp, imagine the courtroom (hammer).

HA! Nice one Douglas! :mrgreen:

Actually, I was terrified when I first used it...it looks so very delicate...but after you get over the fear of possibly bending the thing and destroying someone else's cherished tool...it is deceptively robust.

I wasn't a great fan of the Gent's saw design...the handles I prefer being the open frame dovetail saw variety...but once you get the pointing technique mastered...even a complete numb-nuts like me can pretend to be an expert. The darn thing seems to drive itself....quite uncanny really.

Nice saw...very very nice saw.

Jim

Back