My mouse wheel won't scroll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
This happened a while back, the scrolling wheel on my mouse ceased to have an effect. I had a look at the mouse part of the control panel (XP) no problems there. Then, one day, I was using another piece of software and found that the mouse wheel had been switched off. I switched it back on and all was well. Trouble is, I can't remember how I did it :?
It's definitely not the mouse settings in Control Panel, even the advanced bit, all that is normal
Any help would be appreciated
John

Hi John
The features on my mouse occasionally pack in too.
I have a logitech mouse, and in the logitech folder in program files there is an application that sorts out the mouse's features (it is called "EM_EXEC" if that's any help).
If you find the same or equivalent on yours and double click, the scroll should work again. If not, double click to run the program, then open the mouse controls from the control panel and click OK. Should work again then.

HTH

Hi John
Also just remembered that sometimes just double-clicking on the mouse icon in the start bar tray can restore normal function. (reminded, I might add, by just having to do it :roll: )

Aragorn":196w1vds said:
Hi John
Also just remembered that sometimes just double-clicking on the mouse icon in the start bar tray can restore normal function. (reminded, I might add, by just having to do it :roll: )

I expect that would work, thing is I don't seem to have a mouse icon in my start bar tray, anywhere else I should look for it, or someway of getting one in there?
TIA
John

johnelliott":2irfkptx said:
Aragorn":2irfkptx said:
Hi John

I expect that would work, thing is I don't seem to have a mouse icon in my start bar tray, anywhere else I should look for it, or someway of getting one in there?
TIA
John

If you go to control panel and bring up the mouse settings, there is a little tick box to make the mouse appear in the start bar tray (system tray)

When my mouse icon disappears from the tray, it is because the EM_EXEC programme has just itself down. I now have a shortcut to it on my desktop because it happens so sften, but when I doubleclick on it, the icon reappears and things work well again.
I wouldn't know what the programme is called on your system, but have a scout around your mouse folder in program files for .exe files.
HTH

For win2k and XP-Pro

Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager

click the '+' next to 'Mouse and other Pointing devices' and right click on the type of mouse then choose properties and on the advanced properties tab there should be an option to detect wheel or to diasable detection, if you set it to 'assume wheel is present' then it should work

jim

It's jolly decent of you chaps to help me out like this, but I'm afraid so far none of the ideas have worked
Blurk,I've already been through the control panel, properties procedure, and have unchecked and rechecked the 'assume wheel is present' bit
Aragorn, I don't seem to have a 'mouse' folder, and I've looked pretty hard, too
Tony, there is no box to tick to put the mouse in the system tray in the control panel mouse settings. I've got XP home (upgrade from W98) perhaps this makes a difference.
I feel sure it's a software thing, one day it was working, then it wasn't, no gradual failure as if it was mechanical
I plan to wipe my HD and start again soon, perhaps that will sort it out. In the meantime, I can use the scroll bars
Thanks for all the help
John

Latest posts

Back