My Messy Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chippy1970":q6ockp5b said:
Benchwayze":q6ockp5b said:
kevin dwyer":q6ockp5b said:
hey benchwayze, you can't have enough tools for sure but what is that, a DIY store ?

Well, there's been a Bright Green and Grey addition today!

Time for a 'Toolfest' (A garage sale I think!) :D

Got your TS55R then ??

Yes chippy I have. 21 hours between order and delivery! :D

Matt@":2d4r4vwk said:
come on then, whats the school if thought regarding untidy workshops - does it mean a messy job? or is it s sign of a true artisan who produces wonderful work? On the flip side - a workshop like an operating theatre, does this mean splendid work or is it the sign of someone with the wrong priorities :)

its all a matter of personal taste - I will be honest and say that I am a bit anal about keeping my workshop tidy having worked in some very disturbing environments in the past. I tidy up at the end of every day religiously so that I have a clean start the following morning.

I also have a place for everything, and droll but everything is in its place ready to grab when needed.

The other thing you have to remember is that i regularly have clients coming into my workshop so have to keep it tidy for Health and safety reasons.

Rog

lol benchswayze, what a "nightmare" but we are of our own making arn't we! Meself I have 40' x 19' and it always looks a right state. Whenever I tidy up, it looks great and I feel reinvigorated so for me a clear workspace is a huge positive but try as I might I cannot keep it tidy. Compare with a mate of mine who works in a quarter of the space and his is pristine. A small work area can be a handicap but I'm convinced a bigger workshop for someone of an untidy nature just means a bigger mess! Does a messy workshop make for crappy work? I would say no not necessarily but the outwards impression speak otherwise. Would I take my car to a garage where the floor is strewn with tools and junk? NO!!!
Back to the OP (sorry to hijack your thread :oops: ) if you are untidy in nature you will never ever break it however hard you try :wink: Great work is possible but a messy workshop makes producing it more difficult IMO

Don't worry Matt.

When I am working, all the stuff that has to be stowed in the 'gangway' is put outside under a tarp. It's put back again after I am finished, and cleaned away where possible.

Most of the problem really is due to my enforced absence over the last two or three years, and the workshop being used to store non-woodwork related items while I was away. For instance, my daughter and granddaughter came to live in for a few months, and their stuff overflowed somewhat. It is surprising how long the after-effects of that lasted, when my health issues come into the picture. And yes I am now reorganising the shop from the standpoint of tool storage and more shelving; proper shelving... not B&Q style!

Cheers :D

Just noticed this saw for sale on ebay, i've never seen a mess like it, i'm totally out-classed.

saw.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dominion-Elli ... 4d0053eca4

Attachments

• saw.jpg
    saw.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,180
Dodge":1l7e6l1a said:
its all a matter of personal taste - I will be honest and say that I am a bit anal about keeping my workshop tidy having worked in some very disturbing environments in the past. I tidy up at the end of every day religiously so that I have a clean start the following morning.

I also have a place for everything, and droll but everything is in its place ready to grab when needed.

Rog
I'm with Rog here, I just can't work in an untidy space, my 'shop has to be pristine before I do anything in it. As a general rule, when there's enough shavings and cr@p on the floor to fill a Tesco's blue stripe bag or two, then it's time for a tidy up, but in any case, I always clean the 'shop regardless on the evening before the bin men come, so that anything that does need disposing of gets carted away - Rob

woodbloke":1t7xmulv said:
Dodge":1t7xmulv said:

Rog
I'm with Rog here, I just can't work in an untidy space, my 'shop has to be pristine before I do anything in it. As a general rule, when there's enough shavings and cr@p on the floor to fill a Tesco's blue stripe bag or two, then it's time for a tidy up, but in any case, I always clean the 'shop regardless on the evening before the bin men come, so that anything that does need disposing of gets carted away - Rob

See my thread in General Topics Rob.. :D

I try to keep my workshop tidy for the same reasons as Rog.

But at the moment because of on going changes it is a bit of a tip, although it is getting better daily.

So I am having to explain to clients that is not how I normally work.

I can't wait till I am back to normal, but I also have to pay the bills.

Tom

hi mate you should get a grant from the arts council for those shelves , very original.

Someone resurrected the thread it seems.

Oh well... Here's an update... My shop is a little nearer workable, but still cramped! Yes there are a few more tools present. Not many. Just a few . Photographs soon I hope.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John

Latest posts

Back