My mate Billy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
This is Billy, nearly 12. Rose to fame on the forum by stealing Steve Maskery's hand made cake at my workshop open day, turned his back for 10 seconds and whoosh it was gone, gobbled down in 3 mouthfuls.

OrWOcaQ.jpg

We found out he's terminal last week, couple of months hopefully.
Seaside for him this weekend and an icecream followed by tennis ball throwing and retrieving. Still coming to the workshop. I will miss him terribly, even though we have another herbert (in the background)

My boxer nearly twelve when she was put down - she was fit as a flea at 6pm, and dying at 2am. A twisted bowel. Three years ago and I still miss her. We re homed an American bulldog X after he'd been found as a stray and kenneled for two years, he was beautiful .............. he got cancer and only lasted six months. I puppy sit four days a week now for my daughter's eight month old English bulldog - I have never met a dog so bloody stubborn. Later in the year maybe another ... :D
DSCF0028.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0028.JPG
    DSCF0028.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 2,888
Sounds like you are doing the best for Billy, hope your other woofer will not sulk too much.

My mum was a dog breeder and I still think about my dog, and all the others back then and this is nearly 50 years ago.

Chris

I feel for you. Make the most of what you can....

When I was young we had a dog that liked swimming. Her last holiday was for her, though by then all she could do was lie in the shallows.

We have two elderly dogs - 12 & 13. There will be time enough for tears soon, but until then lots of short but interesting walks.

Ahhhh Bob.
Sorry mate. They are too good for this world to my mind. Certainly too good for most people. When you get a good one and a right minded human, you realise why people and dogs are so conducive to an unspoken but articulate conversation. Still miss my lad 10 + years on.
Best wishes and roll on the treats and icecream.
Regards
Chris

Bm101":44bd60il said:
Ahhhh Bob.
Sorry mate. They are too good for this world to my mind. Certainly too good for most people. When you get a good one and a right minded human, you realise why people and dogs are so conducive to an unspoken but articulate conversation. Still miss my lad 10 + years on.
Best wishes and roll on the treats and icecream.
Regards
Chris

Cheers Chris, his favourite p!ss tree is the one from you. Can't be harming it, coming into bud, I'll take a pic in the summer.

Bob, sorry about your mate Billy. I have a feeling what you are going through, members of the family. My wife has had Irish Setters for nearly fifty years and every one is buried in the garden with a cross and flowers to mark their graves.

John

John15":3h3ldkok said:
Bob, sorry about your mate Billy. I have a feeling what you are going through, members of the family. My wife has had Irish Setters for nearly fifty years and every one is buried in the garden with a cross and flowers to mark their graves.

John

He'll be in our garden, no cross, just a new tree to remember him.

Nitrogen is a great fertiliser Bob unless you are a lawn.
Glad the tree is coming on.
Circle of life isn't it really.
Best as always, much respect,
Chris

We never got over our 13yr old Lab
They become part of the family.
Sorry for your loss.

Rod

Sorry to hear of your impending loss Bob. As I’ve got older I’ve got softer and loosing a dog has a big impact on me. We lost two quite close together just over a year ago, - broke my heart at the time.

This is the replacement, a husky/GS cross (rescue). I spend all day with him so we’ve got close.

Attachments

• 46486D85-4EFA-4BC6-B811-AE2DFF8CCCE7.jpeg
    46486D85-4EFA-4BC6-B811-AE2DFF8CCCE7.jpeg
    675.1 KB · Views: 2,094
sorry to hear this, it's hard to deal with loosing a family pet, at least try and enjoy what time is left with him

Sorry to hear that Bob, one of the things you accept when taking on a dog but doesn't make it any easier.
The only possible consolation is knowing you've given them a great life.

We lost our last Lab to cancer at 13, I buried her in the field and it was more than 2 years before my wife could bear to go anywhere near the grave.
After a 10 year gap we got another and she's 4 now. I'm moving out when her time comes as my missus will be impossible to live with.

Sorry to hear this. The fact you've taken the time to write this post shows how much he/they means to you.

We've lost family dogs before as i was growing up. I remember being inconsolable at the time. I now have my own (6 y/o Boxer), and dread the day it all comes to an end.

Rest assured you've given him a great life. I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Keep your chin up mate.

My wife and I have had dogs for most of our lives. Our boxer is a rescue dog who came to us as a bag of bones and has a heart condition due to starvation and ill treatment as a puppy. When she goes she will be laid in the garden. Our next dog will be another abandoned pet.
I know how you feel and hope you take some comfort in the fact that the love you gave was returned with interest.
Regards, Paul

This is the absolutely worst aspect when owning a dog, or probably any pet.

So loyal and full of character. Hope he has the time of his life this Spring.

Best wishes for all your family and friends at this difficult time

Sorry to hear about your news Bob.

Hope Billy enjoys what time he has.

All the best.

Back