My lathe and my work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

János

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have decided to show you my lathe/workplace:
m1.jpg

And the latest pieces I have made on it:
f1.jpg

Have a nice day,

János

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 909
  • f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 925
Hello,

Many thanks for your comment, but I do not deserve the compliment. I put the tools and faceplates into the base, where I normally store them when not in use. I, just like you, often miss/forget to clean up the chips and debris, especially when the work carries me away. And at one point the tools got lost in the shavings, and I must search for them desperately, like a mouse or something... So I keep the broom at hand. :wink:

Have a nice day,

János

János":18ng81yr said:
Hello,

Many thanks for your comment, but I do not deserve the compliment. I put the tools and faceplates into the base, where I normally store them when not in use. I, just like you, often miss/forget to clean up the chips and debris, especially when the work carries me away. And at one point the tools got lost in the shavings, and I must search for them desperately, like a mouse or something... So I keep the broom at hand. :wink:

Have a nice day,

János

all that sounds familiar - but have you actually disturbed a mouse living in your shavings....

could you help me understand the function of the forms you show here? I like the way they look and would like to know what they do (if anything)?

Hello,

Thank you all for the kind words. Yes, these are incense stick holders for traditional Japanese incense sticks. Those sticks do not have the split bamboo core/shaft the Indian and Chinese incense sticks have. They burn right into the hole, so I put in the metal inserts for safety's sake (they are small pieces of round aluminium and brass rods, bonded in place), and for visual interest. I turned the holders from leftover end-grain pieces of different woods (those in the image have been made from black walnut, maple and beech), their size is approximately 25mm H*70mm D. The finish is a few layers of food grade walnut oil from the grocery shop, as it dries to a satiny shine, and the cured oil is nonflammable. I sanded the pieces to P600 and raised the grain with water at each grit, then applied the oil.

Hey boys, your eyes have tricked you: you have not seen the other 40 squaremetres of my shop. Not that super-tidy at all. :wink:

Have a nice day,

János

Back