My latest wheeze

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

In my recently revived quest to get rid of more dust where it's prodced in the workshop, I looked to the actual dustt extractor (chip collector). The canvas type top bag stops big but not small particles.

I find a very fine dust which appears to be coming through the fabric of the bag. I gave the bag a tap and was shocked at how much dust came out of it into my workshop :cry:

OK. What I did today was cut a section form one of those 1um filters for the workshop air cleaner and placed it over the circular metal section where the canvas and plastic bags fit. I folded the edges right over and then refitted the canvas bag over it and used the metal band around the canvas bag to secure both pieces in place. Now I have a 1um pre-filter before the canvas bag.

I ran it up and it appears OK. So I got my trusty air flow meter out and measured flow before and after the filter was fitted.

Canvas bag alone 17.8m/s in pipe centre
Canvas + 1um filter 15.8m/s in pipe cnetre

So a reduction in ariflow of 2m/s or about 10% which is not too bad at all when one considers the benefits to my lungs :lol:

Extractor.jpg

Filter.jpg

by the way, wheeze, geddit?? Ha Ha Ha :lol:

Ohh, OK ........

I'll let you know how it oges and if the shelves etc. get any cleaner :wink:

Tony,

I've got an Axminster ADE2200 extractor for which i bought the fine filter bag when I first got it c £50. I didn't realise how much material got stuck in it until I came to change the waste sack the first time round.

However, now I obviously knock hell out of the bag before changing the waste sack to get as much off as poss first. I was curious how much of this fine dust was getting out through the bag and so back lit it and gave it several big wallops and nothing much at all could be seen. I do cut a disturbing amount of MDF and I also have a Jet Air filter but that stays remarkably clean needing only vacuuming or blowing once every 10 days or so.

Anyway my point is that the fine filter bag seems to work pretty effectively and maybe an alternative solution.

My biggest gripe/ difficulty is to get a good seal around the top of the waste sack. It seems that if there is even a small crease, dust puffs out so I use gaffer tape as well.

Tim

Yes John is right , it want take long before that filter gets clogged, thats why the final filter has got a large surface area to exhaust.
From expreince with working with Cobra air stream helmets as part of my PPE in work, our pre-filters are seldom changed as the particles it catches act as a fine filter,
So get a finer filter sock on the exhaust and longer time between cleaning and minium shakes of the sock so that the particles trapped act as a still finer filter.

minium shakes of the sock so that the particles trapped act as a still finer filter.

Did I do/ say exactly the wrong thing then? :oops: I only made the point because first time I changed the sack, the inevitable moving of the machine with me kneeling down to carefully take the bag off resulted in me getting a headful of MDF dust as it dropped from inside the bag. Understandably I don't want this to happen again and I'm sure that this is at least as bad if not worse than letting some dust escape through the bag side after shaking.

Please let me know the best course of action

Tim

I swapped the needle felt filter bag on my Scheppach for a cartridge type filter which is far, far better at preventing fine dust escaping and also allows more "suck" presumably because of the larger filter area.

tim":3c9fnhtt said:
Anyway my point is that the fine filter bag seems to work pretty effectively and maybe an alternative solution.
Tim

Absolutely Tim. I could not agree more. However, there is no such bag available for my extractor - drove over t charnwood to ask before I embarked on the mod.

Also, my mod cost about £15 rather than £50 and should be as effective as a bag (if I could get one)

John, SP

I do not think you have understood what I did.

The dust extractor/chip collector has a large canvas type bag above a polythene bag which catches the falling chips. I fitted a fine filter between the two bags - I could not fit a fine filter after the course one (canvas bag) for obvious reasons.

The filter element has a large surface area due to it's shape

Tony":twjva3h7 said:
John, SP

The dust extractor/chip collector has a large canvas type bag above a polythene bag which catches the falling chips. I fitted a fine filter between the two bags - I could not fit a fine filter after the course one (canvas bag) for obvious reasons.

So, if the newly fitted filter is finer, why bother with the canvas bag? Why not simply remove it?
John

I've got one of the standard clone chip collectors, with an Axminster fine felt bag, but still getting some dust out. Looked at the Electra Beckum fine filter, but £80?????
Has anyone found any big commercial vehicle air filters that might do the job for a better price? Dunno, but the big trucks seem to have massive drums where the filters must sit..........

waterhead37":jsr64fou said:
Tony,
Is the avatar your own photo? Can't you see Titan? Do you need a better telescope?

:lol:

Hi Chris

Yes, the photo is my own - first attempt using a webcam on the scope; not too bad for first attempt :wink:
The optical image is MUCH beter through the eyepiece (much higher magnification and contrast) and one can clearly and easily see Titan :wink:

Jupiter knocks your socks off :shock: Watched Io move behind it a while back!!

Don't need a better telescope, my new one (after ebay debacle) is a 10" Meade which is good for deep space work :D

johnelliott":gl53yfjm said:
Tony":gl53yfjm said:
John, SP

So, if the newly fitted filter is finer, why bother with the canvas bag? Why not simply remove it?
John

John

Photos added at top show why

John

Canvas type bag was always there and I saw no reason to remove it - belt and braces anyone?

Decided that the low drop in airflow IS a problem. On my router table the dado I have just cut left loads of waste in the slot whereas when I took the extra filter out, there was a clean and empty slot

Seems to me that having most dust sucked in to the machine (even f some comes back out) is best

A FAILED idea!!!!!

Darn-worth a go though Tony.
I have a B+Q P-Pro extractor (looks like your type) They sell a fine bag for that (down to 2 micron) which is real good-cost £15. Hold the dust reall good and suitable for sanding, etc. Making sure the bags are sealed tidy to the extractor is the biggest problem, but duct tape is allows there to help!. Might be worth trying one of these.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Latest posts

Back