My latest swop.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
I went in to see a guy in a local joiner/cabinet makers on Wednesday to see what off cuts they had. They had had some very nice black walnut in a couple of weeks back and I wondered??

Well, they had some of the off cuts from that little lot and I got some of it. I didn't get it for nowt though! I was asked if I would make a replacement handle for of of the guys favourite 1 1/2" chisels. Well worth a small bit of ash I had.

Attachments

• Black walnut bits 3 copy.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 681
The first bit of the swa/op has born fruit with 2 inside out candle sticks. The one on the left still has work to do on it. Thw right hand jobbie is finished with Fiddes hard wax oil and polished with Chestnut chrystaline wax. I chucked a captive ring on them too.

Attachments

• IMG_3562.JPG
    IMG_3562.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 381
John Brown":3g9l4ah8 said:
That's speling. Not grammer.
As any fule kno.

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

I swapped swap for swop the other day, and was pulled up on it. Does anyone know the correct one to use? Apparently swap is older than swop - Chaucerian - but that doesn't mean anything, because nobody could spell back then. I still can't, but I have the sort of brain that can read a word for 40 years, but still not know how to write it. I like to think that I am a creative, artistic person, who isn't straightjacketed by rigid, authoritarian dictums. In other words, I can't spell.

My wife, on the other hand, can spell everything perfectly, in two languages. She regularly corrects all her Greek friends, and even gets sent documents to check, to make sure there are no mistakes. This is in the foreign language that she she had no formal training in. Just one of those brains, I suppose.

Edit: those aren't offcuts! That's entire planks of wood, that is!! I believe the police call it "mumping".

Thank you Robo. The wood is quite dry and, to my surprise, soft too, but it takes quite a nice finish.

If anyone is a bit squeeeeeeemish then don't do a search on "mumping"! I did and couldn't find a correct (IMHO) definition of it for my Swa/op (lets cover all angles here folks :mrgreen: )

Trainee neophyte":1df2h6dg said:
I swapped swap for swop the other day, and was pulled up on it. Does anyone know the correct one to use?

Hope this clears things up for you

Swap

Take part in an exchange of.
‘we swapped phone numbers’
‘I'd swap places with you any day’
no object ‘I was wondering if you'd like to swap with me’

Give (one thing) and receive something else in exchange.
‘swap one of your sandwiches for a cheese and pickle?’

Substitute (one thing) for another.
‘I swapped my busy life in London for a peaceful village retreat’

Back