My latest jig creation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ola c

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

Think there might be some interest in this. Used it a few weeks now and as it's name implies, it certainly is a superjig for tenons and boxjoints. I call it a gamechanger and that's what I see it as. Developed for the table saw but could be used on router table as well as long as there's a miter channel in the table. 3 part video, each part around 20mins. As I say in the beginning of the first part, plans and build videos will follow if the interest for it is big enough.

If you want to see what it's good at and how accurate it is, watch part 2 or 3, but I recommend watching part 1 first for understanding of the concept.

(Didn't know under which category to place this but hope it's ok here.)

Last edited:
Started working on the plans, 3d CAD completed but will still take a while though to complete the plans. Today I made a new discovery.. using all 4 pins this jigs cuts boxjoints on odd millimeters just as simple as it does for even millimeters. In the videos I say it cuts boxjoint on 4,6,8,10,12,14,16mm ..and so on but that will be changed now. This jig cuts box joints of 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17... millimeters:).

Will make a short update video on this subject the coming weekend.

20220127_181123.jpg
20220127_181133.jpg

Last edited:
Better late then never...but now at least all the build videos and plans are released.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Been experimenting with various patterns over the weekend. Have a new film coming up soon where I handle these. Quite simple to make, no major difference compared to standard boxjoints.

If you are into these kind of joints with variations, this jig will give you so many pattern options. These I show here are just a few examples. All joints done with my 3.2mm flat top blade. None of these joints are glued or sanded, this is the dry fit accuracy acchieved with this jig.

First picture finger widths only 4mm on the "non visible side" of for instance a drawer. Fingers on visible/front goes in a decreasing-increasing series 20/16/12/8/12/16/20.
2023-02-12-14-04-54-864.jpg

If too much going on in that picture a plain decreasing series looks like this.
2023-02-12-17-29-49-642.jpg

Next pic both fingers goes in a series of 16/14/12/10/8/6/4 and in the opposite direction to each other. From the top mahogny goes to thicker fingers, ash to thinner. They meet halfway. Takes a while to see it maybe.
2023-02-12-14-05-54-078.jpg

To show how versatile this jig is also for larger joints like this bridle joint in 59x59 dimension wood. With only 5 fingers no evenly divided numbers are needed, with 6 colour pins finger widths can be whatever they need to. In this case my piece of wood was 59mm and the fingers ended up at 59/5=11.8mm. Control wheel set up for this joint also shown. Here the fingers are planed flush, would be to good looking otherwise. Not glued though.

2023-02-12-15-51-00-711.jpg

20230131_190823.jpg

Last edited:
They look superb, well done. Lots of jigs will make box joints but the trick is to make them tight with no hairline gaps - looks like you succeeded. Infinity tools make flat ground blades in 4 , 5 and 6 mm but only in the American standard 5/8 " arbour. They are surprisingly useful if your saw takes them.

Last edited:
They look superb, well done. Lots of jigs will make box joints but the trick is to make them tight with no hairline cracks - looks like you succeeded. Infinity tools make flat ground blades in 4 , 5 and 6 mm but only in the American standard 5/8 " arbour. They are surprisingly useful if your saw takes them.

Thanks! This jig is not dependent on certain blade thicknesses, although it reduces the work sometimes. One of it's strengths in terms of boxjoints is flexibility, possible to make all finger widths in 0.5mm increments so minimum risk to end up with half fingers on the end or some other mismatch. Think this jig is unique in that respect.

I have both a 4 and 6mm flat top blade, reason I didn't use them here was to show it's not necessary to have a certain blade with even mm thickness.

The Superjig 2.0!

This jig can nowadays do so much more than when first presented last year. For example then I said it could do boxjoints on every 2mm, it nowadays makes them on every 0.5mm finger width without problems. I have also extended the capabilities with boxjoint variations in different forms (picture 2). You can do pretty much any pattern or variation with this jig. Also added tilt function in two directions to enable angled joinery. To add to that I have a new more simple way to calculate the coloured pin positions and decided to make completely new videos. First video demoing the jig and describing it, and then 4 user videos. Boxjoints, boxjoint variations, bridle joints and finally tenons. Old videos will be deleted very soon. If someone is in the middle of one of them, let me know and we solve that.

Demovideo linked below, the user videos are in the same playlist. Also some pictures what is included in the user videos.

20230416_190613-ed.jpg

20230428_104754.jpg

20230416_192742-ed.jpg

20230424_165831.jpg

Last edited:
That opens up other potential ideas. What are the rails it slides on and the thread / screw arrangement please ?

It's standard SBR linear rails, 12mm, can be found on all kind of cheap sites. The ballscrew is SFU1204, 12mm with 4mm pitch, also that easy to find. Both ballscrew and linear rails are also easily found in other sizes and pitches if you plan on making something else than the jig I made.

Back