My Last Post Here !!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
OK I've not visited UKWorkshop for some time and quite a lot of rules have been implemented during that time that I'm not aware of. So after two posts recently I've had two emails, one email explaining that I needed to add prices to items I was selling, that's fair enough. The second email stating my original selling post had been removed because I had placed the items on Ebay. Now if I had had an email explaining the breach of another rule I would have gladly removed the offending post myself...... But after contributing so many build threads to this forum over the years I think I deserved better treatment than just removing my advert in the selling forum. So you won't be seeing anything from me again here. Sorry, I will miss visiting the UKWorkshop forum but if the trend is to alienate old members in this way I see no point in being a member here.

Bye.

Lord Nibbo.

Very sorry that you won't be posting here in future, your Lordship. I've really enjoyed your stuff over the years.

Best wishes.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

What is the problem with selling a tool on here on a fixed price as well as on eBay you could advertise it here cheaper and still make the same profit

wizard":1v5y8s4o said:
What is the problem with selling a tool on here on a fixed price as well as on eBay you could advertise it here cheaper and still make the same profit
Agreed.

eBay and PayPal between them now take roughly 15% of the total price to the buyer including the shipping costs.

So selling on here is much cheaper and there's only a few rules to stick to - have you seen eBay's rules and requirements? They'd fill a small book!

I think a rule should be brought in that no posts r allowed if the author won't contribute to them....

In all seriousness tho, U seem like u used the site for projects and ur hobbies, so one post removed that u were selling somewhere else has pineappled u off this much that u have to leave?? seems abit dramatic with the give me attention post to go along with it.. the selling rules were made because they were needed, didn't want the site used to get the most money out of this community but give great tools for a sensible and fare price . ebay is a get as much as someone will pay site some times it works some times it doesn't. I love the forum and wish i was in the uk to be close to some of the great tools sold for great prices a table saw is a fine example thats up right now.

Regards Richard

Walney Col":3fenv0wr said:
It has to be said that the selling rules in particular are at least a wee bit anal and not necessarily what the users would like.

And what, in your opinion, would you like to see changed?

wizard":3fenv0wr said:

Read the Market Place rules and you'll find out. You'll also find out why the For Sale board was established and you'll also find out that "profit" doesn't come in to it.
Advertising "cheaper"? What's cheaper than free?

The board has been very popular since it started and I do find it strange that those you have benefited from it in one way or another complain about it. As RP and RD have mentioned it's not a bad place to dispose of unwanted WW items. Some simple guidelines and a measure of respect makes it work well.

Just read the rules they are not user helpful at all whoever thought them up must be power mad or a traffic warden. Glad i have read them i will now stick to selling my items on eBay, i buy collect and sell tools as a hobby not as a way of getting rich.

wizard":2abkvb53 said:
Just read the rules they are not user helpful at all whoever thought them up must be power mad or a traffic warden.
I agree. To my mind the rules represent the viewpoint (and cater to the interest of) a distinct minority of users, and interfering with a post by demanding that a price be specified when the person offering the item might well have no idea of it's value to other people is just plain silly.

Col.

The rules were made to prevent the shenanigans that went on previously, if you can't be bothered to read the rules before you post something for sale then the fault lies with you, simple.

Having a hissy fit just because your post is removed is pathetic, in this case it broke more than one rule & I can't fault the mod team removing it. The rules should be upheld whoever you are regardless of your post count or length of membership here, that makes it fair for everyone which is the point of having rules.

If you don't like it sell your goods elsewhere, I for one think this is an excellent place to sell gear, not only is it free, but you also have an audience that is interested in what you are selling.

Doug B":ljkoje4z said:
The rules were made to prevent the shenanigans that went on previously, if you can't be bothered to read the rules before you post something for sale then the fault lies with you, simple.

Having a hissy fit just because your post is removed is pathetic, in this case it broke more than one rule & I can't fault the mod team removing it. The rules should be upheld whoever you are regardless of your post count or length of membership here, that makes it fair for everyone which is the point of having rules.

If you don't like it sell your goods elsewhere, I for one think this is an excellent place to sell gear, not only is it free, but you also have an audience that is interested in what you are selling.

Agreed............ smacks a bit of "don't you know who I am".

I have had surplus tools for sale removed because I earn my living as a woodworker (not selling machines or tools) work that one out I couldn't.

vally bar":2zvfqzpb said:
I have had surplus tools for sale removed because I earn my living as a woodworker (not selling machines or tools) work that one out I couldn't.

Don't think that's the reason they were removed since other professionals post in the for sale section.

Nibbo,

As you say you don't post much anymore, so bit of an empty threat.

Stunning chess set btw but that was 2012.

It's not that important and it may assist other members but I think LN's opening post was not a true reflection of what happened.
After he started a thread with a list of items for sale without prices I posted this in the thread:

Hi LN.

Can you please edit your post to include prices etc as per rules. Realise you haven't been around much recently so I'll leave the post up for a little while.

LN posts again with prices, all is well. Then he announces that he's listed items on eBay. He then receives a pm:

Your post has been moved.

5 –Allowed Sales Posts.
Members may not submit items currently offered on other public sites such as ............................ Such posts detected or reported will be treated as spam in the first instance.

If I read your post correctly one item is not on an auction site, if this is the case it can be re-submitted.

All seems quite reasonable and if LN wasn't aware of "new" rules such as prices etc he really should've had a look to see if there were any other rules that he wasn't aware of once made aware of matters - if's there one, there might be more, but like finding a coin down the back of the couch.........That particular rule regarding eBay, Gumtree etc has been in place for over 3 years.

IMO the sales-related rules in particular require an unreasonable amount of research and/or memory, are not instinctive or obvious, are not in the best interest of the majority, and are routinely overlooked and/or not enforced presumable depending on who the poster is and who's on moderation duty.

storm-in-a-teacup.jpeg

Doctor Bob,

That's gross TEA and that one looks particularly bad.

I think the rules re sales are fine, my opinion only.
However it is worth remembering this is a forum, owned by a person. That persons rules are the ones we abide by, full stop. This is not a democracy, nor anything else. At the end of the day, if you don't like any or all of the rules ad set out, move along to another forum.
I happen to think the rules work here, we have a good bunch of people, we have lively debate and a lot of knowledge, take away the rules and see how long it takes to fall apart.

I find the whole "I'm leaving" type of threads a bit bizarre. Kind of a cry looking for a bunch of people to say"oh please don't go as you are so important"!

Just stop posting, its very easy and you don't end up looking like you are throwing your toys out of the pram. Sad way to end your posting record here.

Back