My Last Post Here !!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":3ic3sa55 said:
Doug B":3ic3sa55 said:
The problem is Col that the rules were implemented in the first place because of all the falling out that used to happen, so whilst you might not like them previous history meant they became necessary, it's a shame that we need them but the facts are we do.

But Doug, WoodworkUK doesn't have a list of For Sale rules, does it? And that seems to work just fine.
Perhaps forums that don't have on average 150+ persons viewing at any one time, or 200 post and 18 topics per day don't have enough traffic to need help policing.

So should 3 phase kit be banned from for sale as it's very obviously commercial
Also can we stop Sados whinging about their birds doing one, As it's definitely off topic.

vally bar":35jwvnef said:
Also can we stop Sados whinging about their birds doing one, As it's definitely off topic.

Can't believe you said that.

ermm wrong in metalwork perhaps but in General

General Chat (Off-Topic)
For non-woodworking related topics - yes I know it's a scary thought but there is a life outside woodworking

vally bar":1wixf675 said:

Oh, stop being so childish. You were having a clear-out of your business. You may or may not have known about the rules but once pointed out to you, did you let it go and accept it? No. Instead you're trying it on. You've lost any sympathy I might have had for your case.

If the stuff was your own private kit then why are you charging VAT?

Man up. Move on.

CHJ":1te5douy said:
I think most members would have interpreted the above thread as being commercial!!
Regardless of whether it's commercial I for one would have welcomed the opportunity to buy some quality used equipment from someone who knows what they're talking about

And that's just one of the reasons why the current rules don't necessarily work in the best interests of the majority of members.

In any case I personally would only have deemed that post "commercial" if it was common knowledge that the seller's regular income was derived from selling machine tools... if he sells ice creams for a living or (in this case) wooden products then FOR HIM it's not his regular source of income and therefore non-commercial even if the proceeds from old tooling have no option but to attract VAT and go through his business account.

Col.

Living on the IOW most items advertised here would be impractical for me to go for, unless small, so I claim partial neutrality.
Speaking as a potential BUYER, all I am interested in is, what, how much, and where with some photos so I can decide if I like it.
I am not interested in the fact the seller may have a 100 tons of surplus timber, or sheds full of surplus gear, that is of no consequence to me.
Likewise if the seller is an amateur disposing of a redundant item, thats nice and good luck to him.
Should the item be on ebeach then all I want is if I buy through this forum then it is mine, and not an entry into a standard on line auction.
I would be concerned if the rules no matter how well meaning, are preventing me having access to items of interest at a price I may like.
The rules should assist and protect both parties, and as long as the item is what it claims, and does what it claims, at a price agreeable to both, why are there further seller restrictions. If someone wants to make their living flogging reasonable priced gear to forum members - why not?

Gareth slinking back into his corner.

Walney Col":12bli48w said:
Well put Gareth. I think that's an excellent summary of how most members would feel. Col.

Like I said, far too complicated and open to personal misinterpretation by poster OR moderator.

Really? Well, it's not an excellent summary of how I feel.

Whoever the seller is, +VAT = commercial. Simple. Go sell it on Ebay and PAY THE FEES!

Oh, sorry. Ebay don't allow +VAT, do they? But you think it's OK on here?

Rules are rules. If you don't like it (or can't understand it #-o ), that's your problem.

Stop moaning about it and move on.

t8hants":2qal56i7 said:
If someone wants to make their living flogging reasonable priced gear to forum members - why not?
As said before there is nothing stopping someone in bussiness, private or commercial, from using the option of a premier post.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/premier-posts

Expecting a privately funded and voluntary administered forum to provide the facility free of charge is a bit nieve.

Mark-numbers":14k8lnej said:
Lmao at this thread!!

Got to admit it does make me smile Mark.
Folks are offered a completely free service for selling their own goods & the only proviso is they follow a few rules to do so & they still complain :roll:

As my old Gaffa used to say, " if you gave some folks the moon on a stick they'd still want more"

To add another point of view;

The rules as they they stand are generally clear enough.

The issue of whether an item is being sold commercially could do with some clarification and reassessment.
The consensus here seems to be that it would be useful and fair if people can sell surplus kit and materials to the benefit of the membership, IF the items offered aren't their primary business products.
Hence timber merchants should pay to advertise wood, turning blanks etc, through the premier post scheme, but a joiner could sell some surplus hardwood left over from a job. Similarly a secondhand tool vendor should pay to advertise, but a kitchen fitter could sell on a tool he was upgrading.
The issue of VAT in these circumstances is quite straightforward, all prices advertised must be the prices paid including VAT if chargeable. A courtesy would be to expect people to add to their listing if a VAT receipt will be issued for the sale price.

The reality is that this is already happening in the 'For sale' section to an extent. Smart moderators would legitimise this, rather than just overlook it which can cause problems when later disputes happen with other potential vendors.

I collect tools as a hobby and buy and sell a few as part of my hobby so i assume i am not according to the rules aloud to sell them to other forum members. It is no benefit to me to sell them on here at all as i can sell them on eBay, however it may be of help to others.

Rhossydd":390x7noa said:
To add another point of view;

The rules as they they stand are generally clear enough.

The issue of whether an item is being sold commercially could do with some clarification and reassessment.
The consensus here seems to be that it would be useful and fair if people can sell surplus kit and materials to the benefit of the membership, IF the items offered aren't their primary business products.
Hence timber merchants should pay to advertise wood, turning blanks etc, through the premier post scheme, but a joiner could sell some surplus hardwood left over from a job. Similarly a secondhand tool vendor should pay to advertise, but a kitchen fitter could sell on a tool he was upgrading.
The issue of VAT in these circumstances is quite straightforward, all prices advertised must be the prices paid including VAT if chargeable. A courtesy would be to expect people to add to their listing if a VAT receipt will be issued for the sale price.

The reality is that this is already happening in the 'For sale' section to an extent. Smart moderators would legitimise this, rather than just overlook it which can cause problems when later disputes happen with other potential vendors.

I think that that is a pretty fair and accurate assessment and reflects the balance being achieved by the Mods in For Sale.

Doug - You know me well enough by now to not take life too seriously.

If there are rules then they are there for bending.

But Lord Nibbo is being a numpty

a) for going all pathetic "this is my last post" etc etc b) not taking it up in private with the mods!!

Mark-numbers":al6dmwsh said:
But Lord Nibbo is being a numpty

a) for going all pathetic "this is my last post" etc etc b) not taking it up in private with the mods!!

It looks like he's gone & joined the Shaven Axminster 2, I'm sure he will be happy there

Back