My Kitchen Refit (long, lots of pictures).

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm nearly finished, so thought I'd post some in progress pics. It's nowhere near the standard/expense of Senior's latest one - this is at the budget first-time buyers end, but I think it's turning out nice nonetheless, certainly a lot better than the one we got when moved in last year.

So, anyways:

How it was before (note the hideous outdoor tiles that the previous guy cemented to the floor and eighties style black wall tiles):

513966767_375c6414c0.jpg

And:

513939478_e0bbf02b5a.jpg

Demolition of the entire kitchen:

513965411_bf548ffcd4.jpg

513966491_df67155329.jpg

513966319_5cbc8d8bde.jpg

West wall cabinets going in and wall painted new colour:

513965999_d8a02b3963.jpg

513938842_cf6fc663fa.jpg

West wall almost finished (Just coving, plinths and appliance door left):

516235466_00391c8f8c.jpg

Floor being mended - large chasm had to be dug out as previous owner built an island over the top of the very rough concrete that was underneath.

Before:
516235734_d729f39053.jpg

After:
516262027_05e371ae5f.jpg

New floor underlay done:
518724547_08b497d205.jpg

New floor going in (It's called Bourbon Oak - cost about £250 for the whole kitchen):

518724827_fb09484a57.jpg

Festool doing a brilliant job (And used in almost every part of this project):

518697616_83cd40e716.jpg

Floor finished:

518725163_229d4d6a50.jpg

And some current shots of where we are with the project:
518697996_57d81a42a6.jpg

518698102_091b7baf1f.jpg

518725489_19f69c1761.jpg

So, all we have to do now is fit the worktop on the sink side. Fit a couple of appliance doors, finish removing the tile-adhesive from the oven wall, plaster and paint. Hang the 2 x 1m wall cabinets on the oven wall and fit plinths, skirting and coving - so should be done by next weekend.

Overall it's been quite fun doing the refit - although I enjoy the demolition more than the construction - so satisfying!

The other thing i'll be doing is; cutting the kitchen table down to a smaller size - or even circular. For the two of us it's quite large as we don't 'entertain' hardly at all so it's taking up a fair chunk of space.

The floor was a be-atch to get up, but once I levelled it, repaired it and got the underlay down, the click-lock laminate went down quite well - much easier than the nasty B&! stuff i've used in the past. I'll post a couple more of photo's of the finished kitchen/diner next week. Sorry for the long set of pics.

Thats looking great Byron.

we are moving house on thursday and am in 2 minds whether to make my own kitchen or just buy one in (after i have knocked a few walls down)

How long did it take to do? And how did you cope with no kitchen?

Matt.

Hi Matt,

Well, we halved the kitchen - one side with the sink and oven etc, the other which is mostly featured in the pictures (west wall) which has the fridge on it.

So, whilest we were fitting the cabinets and sorting out the floor, we still had use of the oven and sink so it wasn't too bad. The cabinets were from Wickes' range of 'Take Away' kitchens. It's called the 'Edmonton' range.

I put together the cabinets over the course of about a week, doing a couple each night. I upgraded the cabinets by using gripfill along with the supplied fixings, and also fitting a solid back and sometimes an extra cross-piece across the top to support the worktop.

Once I had enough cabinets, we installed all of the west wall (fridge wall) and got as much done as we could before we moved on to the east-wall (oven). This meant that we had plenty of cabinets for storage, and some worktop space while we did the other side.

We've only had to live with the mess for just over a week, so it's been a relatively stress free refit.

Nice job, BB. Always stressful having any work done on the kitchen - TPTBs get rather twitchy if things don't progress at a speedy rate, it seems. 8-[ Load of cupboards for the workshop now... :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf - your not wrong there. I've inherited about 5 semi-decent 500mm cabinets, and as much worktop as I need. So my storage problem for the workshop is now solved. I'm also converting/strenthening one of the cabinets to use as my router-table.

Also, along the way, i've nearly finished the fabled lesser-spotted greenhouse. I'll be posting pics of that in about a week or so.

You're right there Dom. In the cold light of day, the blue looks kinda strange on the photograph, but when the lighting conditions are right, it gives more of an impression of how I see it all the time.

ByronBlack":2wc262fh said:
You're right there Dom. In the cold light of day, the blue looks kinda strange on the photograph, but when the lighting conditions are right, it gives more of an impression of how I see it all the time.

Yeah, the blue looks superb for the background in the photos that are a bit darker, really sets the units off.

Nice job.

Chris.

byron, you did fantastic there mate, you are a man after my own heart. i love the demolishing best, :lol: and when its done you can put your feet up and enjoy a couple of large macallan single malt :eek:ccasion5:

Nice one! And it seems that good planning has enabled you to do it with minimal disruption.

Personally I get little satisfaction from the demolition - I find it just a necessary chore. I think hanging the doors and finishing the trim is what I like best.
Can't say I share your taste in paint, though..... :shock:

Dave

Back