My Ipe Smoothers are done

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I guess this is my second post, sorry for not be too active but I read alot of the posts. Attached hopefully are pics of my closed tote smoothers I made from Ipe. I borrowed the idea of the abutment blocks from HNT Gordon, but made mine from Ipe, with helicoils for the threaded inserts - you might call them something else.
ipeplaneshavings010small3nl.jpg
[/img]

I then used a special tap to thread the holes,
ipeplaneshavings012small2ck.jpg

Here's a pic of the blcoks with the plane,
ipeplaneshavings018small0ro.jpg
The sahvings did jam in the beginning, so I had to reduce the length of the blocks. As you might see from the pics, there is no chipbreaker just a 1/8" iron from Hock tools. I made the mouth adjustable using an oversize hole which provides 1/8" travel in the mouth.
ipeplaneshavings021small7jo.jpg

ipeplaneshavings019small1ow.jpg

I made the totes closed like an infill, one at 45* and one at 50*
totessidesmall6ia.jpg

Here's a pic of the finsihed planes.
ipesmoother005small1mo.jpg

Next on the list to do is a razee jack and razee jointer from Ipe using some old cast steel irons that I will no longer use. Over all a fun project, but Ipe is very hard and dense - it won't float, and making the totes was not fun.

Cheers from the States

Mike

Thanks for the post Mike, very inspiring. They certainly look very nice. I like the idea of abutments rather than complicated mortises; do you think a dowel would have worked to hold them in place, where the threaded inserts are? I guess one dowel would have to croos the throat opening and hold both abutments in place to be strong enough. Anyway, I guess I'm just rambling, nice job!
Frank

I'll see what I can throw together as far as plans go. I've already got the wood cut for the jack and jointer. These will have a regular tote that I made from Ipe also. I have to do some fine tuning on the blocks - they are too thick at 1/2", plus I'll have to taper them toward the throat. The front of the plane which holds the mouth piece needs some reduction in angle also to prevent the shavings from jamming. Overall it was a fun project.

Mike

Frank,

I could have used a dowel instead of the pivot blocks, but why make it easy ? The Krenov style planes which are similar to mine uses a pin/dowel
as a support for the wedge. I didn't want to use a chipbreaker which I might have assumed - either right or wrong - that a crosspin/ dowel was required to provide adequate support for the iron assembly. My design works quite well with only the iron as long as the wedge is down far enough to support the edge of the blade. I had to adjust the wedge to get it to within perhaps 3/8" of the end of the iron or otherwise it would chatter. Overall, as this is my first attempt at planemaking I'm quite happy.

Cheers,
Mike

Back