My Hitachi M12V needs pre-heating to start!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewG

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly old Hitachi M12V router that has been a great workhorse, however in the last year it has become temperamental and won't start till it has sat in front of my fan heater for a couple of minutes. This wasn't so bad during the winter but not so great now it is summer!

It is kept in a dry insulated workshop but even so I am guessing it has something to do with damp and the electronic speed controller.

A bit of research suggests that problems with this model's speed controller was not unusual, and that replacements were not cheap.....if even still available.

Do any of you bright, knowledge electrically savy people have any suggestions for how I might try to get this tool working without a 'pre-heat'. Is re-sealing the electronics (if that is indeed the cause) a possibility?

It could be a dry joint on the controller or a fault on the speed control pot. Or something simple like a break in the mains lead which usually happens at the end of the strain release.

Pete

Thanks for the suggestions, Pete. I did disassemble the router when it first stopped working looking for loose wires. However heat seems to be the reliable fix, could that be consistent with a dry joint or faulty pot?

Did you give the wires a good pull? If they are broken they will stretch a little.
Try working the speed control back and forth a few times to clean the contacts.
You can't check for dry joints as it's sealed.
The m12v is a good router and worth fixing I have one.

Pete

Latest posts

Back