My Friday painting session

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
A local beauty spot at Sharkham point, near Brixham, Devon. From one of my photographs taken 20 years ago.

Attachments

• sharkham point painted.jpg
    sharkham point painted.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 562
Sorry John

I think you have missed this one

It looks 1 dimensional with little or no rescission into the painting

When I tried WC painting this was a stumbling block for me , apparently the way to do it is make each level weaker paint levels , the further into the painting you go

I gave up painting :(

Thanks.

Interesting, this morning going to the post the picture is flat, and not much recession .

So perhaps later when viewing again in daylight there will be more depth appearing.

The painting was photographed and flash was used so I think that has flattened the scene.

I wasn't sure whether to comment or not as I don't know if the camera & flash are doing this painting an injustice, but to me the hills look a bit muddy, the brown lines arn't quite right and it just doesn't quite work for me. It isn't flat as such, I can see recession in the colours to the background, but the hills arn't fresh and vibrant as watercolurs should be and I don't think there's enough contrast between the foreground and middle ground. The eye isn't lead around this painting quite right. I think it would be better if there was more sea at the left hand edge so the hill doesn't stop at the fence post.

I hope that helps and you find it constructive.

i agree with the general comments, it does look a little flat. as a general rule, the further you go, the more blue in your mix. also, reduce the constrast on far away object. distant hills are generally just a little shade of greyish blue, compared to the sky.
dont be afraid to use artistic licence to "improve" on your photograph. even if the hills are very green on you photograph, just dull them out. it will bring the foreground out.

furthermore... i hope you didnt use green straigth from the pan, or tube.. it's a big no no (unless you are very experienced) !
always mix your green from a blue and yellow, preferably the ones you used everywhere else in your painting.

hope i am being constructive without being patronising !
keep it up !

Thanks for your comments, I did wonder whether to give it a glaze of blue but personally I am happy with its finish myself. I fully understand the painting conventions, in fact its a naughty picture because its mixed media!

Learnt the other day that Damien Hirst only obtained an E grade for art GCSE. :wink:
Look what they pay for his pictures, mine nowhere reach his standard of course.

Back