My French Workshop - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColG

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of organising my workshop in France. It's approx 40m2 built of blocks with a water-tight tiled roof. I've insulated the floor and laid a chipboad floor on a 3x2 frame work. Plans are to install a "ceiling" and create a timber store above, I'd like to insulate and board the walls but will have to wait untill the house is done before spending money on home comforts so a coat of emulsion on he walls just brighten it up will have to suffice for now.

Enjoy.

DSCF0144.jpg

DSCF0346.jpg

DSCF0347.jpg

DSCF0348.jpg

DSCF0349.jpg

DSCF0350.jpg

DSCF0351.jpg

DSCF0353.jpg

DSCF0354.jpg

DSCF0355.jpg

DSCF0356.jpg

Hiya Col

very nice set up you have.

I am looking to move in the near future to france, Le Mans area.
I noticed you have english plugs on some stuff, i have asked and been told it is ok to take a four way adaptor from England and put a French style plug on it. Would be good to know you have done or think of this as i was thinking this may not be the best way to go.

Looks like you are going to have a lot of fun in there

Martin

looks like a great workshop. from experience though I'd put some windows in, much nicer working in natural light, espeically when you have a nice view to look over :D :D

gatesmr2":3h7dzpk5 said:
I noticed you have english plugs on some stuff, i have asked and been told it is ok to take a four way adaptor from England and put a French style plug on it. Would be good to know you have done or think of this as i was thinking this may not be the best way to go.

It works fine, certainly much safer than using adapters. In general it isn't too much of a pain to put continental plugs on most appliances/tools, though.

Of course, you may end up with 3-phase, which is much more common in France.

Looks like a nice job, certainly bigger than mine, which I won't have up and running for a couple of years. I like the use of lambris for the tool cupboard, I may well copy that!

Is the shop mostly for renovation work on the house, or will you be producing stuff for sale?

Alas, I'm not able to ship myself out to live there permanently yet (dreaming of the time tho!!!!)

At the moment, I have the longest extension lead ever between the power supply and the workshop - my next job is to dig the trench and lay a proper supply. I already have about 25 euro plugs to replace the British plugs once I've wired up the shop.

I agree about the windows and I'll eventually get round to putting a couple in but at the moment from a security point of view, it works for me and with the door open it's not too bad light wise.

I've done a couple of projects, the tool cabinet being one using stuff that was kicking around. The attic is floored with boards about 1 3/4 thick and some are over 12" wide which clean up a treat with the thicknesser.

Initially the workshop is for use while the renovations are being undertaken but the plan is NOT to buy any furniture but to make it now I have a decent amount of space to work in.

Incidently the renovation project is actually an old barn that was used as a cabinet makers workshop and the initial pictures I saw of the interior showed a big old cast iron planer and bandsaw - certainly the amount of dust and off-cuts kicking around shows that it was well used.

The place has a 3 phase supply but I'm balancing the supply and only using one phase for the workshop as I don't see me needing 3 phase machinery.

Cheers

Col
DSCF0103-1.jpg

I like your planer/thicknesser set up - hope you don't have to work with many large or long sections, otherwise you'll soon knacker your back! :shock: :wink:

You got the top bandwheel? My next door neighbour has one similar. Lethal looking thing with not a hint of guarding.

no I did ask but the guy I bought the place from sent them for scrap - too big for my requirements anyway.

Back