My first table sawz

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikkiC

Established Member
Reaction score
OK. I got my replacement Kity 419 table saw last Tuesday. The first thing I did was look for any major faults that would require the replacement saw to be sent back. The blade angle adjusts nicely and locks in place, unlike the last one. There's a bit of incomplete casting along one side of a mitre slot. It doesn't appear to affect anything sliding along it. OK, I'm going to pass that one over, grudgingly.

Next. There was a table bolt sitting proud of the table. The countersink hole the nut head rests in wasn't deep enough for it to screw flush with the table. You couldn't rip any wood because the wood simply hit the bolt after passing the blade. I got out a countersink drill bit and hand drill and deepened the hole. I was surprised how easily it drilled out. How can the saw have passed quality with a bolt sticking out of the table!? Anyway, the bolt now screws down flush.

Next. I noticed a rattling sound inside the saw straight after the blade is put to a stop. I tracked it down to the bolt and washer on the motor's pulley having worked themselves loose. I dissected the saw and tightened the nut. After that I noticed a huge amount of vibration disappear. Unfortunately, after ripping a couple of planks, the vibration was back. The motor spindle bolt had worked loose again. This time I used blue threadlock and retightened. Some hours later I ripped a few more planks. Unfortunately, the vibration was back again! Yes, the bolt was loose. I've just now applied RED threadlock. How many hours should I wait for it to cure?

If that doesn't fix it I'm not sure what to do! The fact that the most important bolt in the machine is easily working itself loose must be symptomatic of another problem, I can only presume.

Anyone got any comments on the Wickes table saw, which I can only presume must be a deathtrap in comparison? LOL...:shock:

Nikki

Is this the nut that holds the blade in ? That nut should only get tighter when the saw is in use .

Is this the nut that holds the blade in ? That nut should only get tighter when the saw is in use .

Sorry, it's the nut that holds the induction motor's pulley. I'll correct that in the original message.

Nikki

Did you have to put the saw together yourself ? Or was it already set up ?

Did you have to put the saw together yourself ? Or was it already set up ?

Apart from the table extension and sliding carriage, it was "ready" to cut wood, straight out of the box.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Here's the problem I had with my first Kity 419 a couple of weeks ago: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ght=#72938

I had a replacement come and I have fixed the issues with that one (had faults too!), except one where the motor pulley keeps working itself loose. I have yet to test to see if some threadlock will hold it. Touch wood, should hold...

Yes, I know. Sounds like I put it together myself! But if I had, I can assure you you wouldn't be reading this message.

Woohoooo! The iron grip of the red threadlock is holding. The motor axle will most likely sheer off now :lol:, but the pulley is surely bolted for infinity and beyond! Let's hope I don't have to remove it, erm, any time soon..

My first table saw! :D

Congratulations Nikki! Whatcha making now you're up & running? :D

I'm in the middle of making an aquarium canopy. I'm duplicating the design of a larger one I bought a couple of years ago which was for a 330L tank. Next, I'm making side cabinets with bookcases to match my 5' aquarium. After that, it's beds and wardrobes. This house has no furniture, except for hand-me-down tables and chairs.

I just made my first glued-up panel for the aquarium lid. After I sanded smooth all the joins into one beautiful, seamless plank, I couldn't stop looking at it! Very satisfying. I suppose you get over the marvelling after you've done a few dozen?

Nope ive just been sat for an hour looking at a table top ive just made :lol:

NikkiC":2qqwtt13 said:
After I sanded smooth all the joins into one beautiful, seamless plank, I couldn't stop looking at it! Very satisfying. I suppose you get over the marvelling after you've done a few dozen?
Not noticeably. :oops: :lol: Take that feeling and multiply it by a factor of, oh, 50 or so, and you get how you feel when you've planed something smooth and don't need to sand it at all. Priceless. :D

Glad you're making progress with the table saw; been a bit of a haul all told, hasn't it? Funny, I didn't know anything about metal until I took up woodworking. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Back