My first table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikkiC

Established Member
Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum. I've been lurking for a number of weeks. Greeting to all.

I've heard many good things about the Kity 419 table saw from posts on this forum. I decided to get one. This is my first table saw. I was taken aback by the quality of the cast alloy table and the sliding carriage. Absolutely amazing for a little table saw.

I have one little issue with it though. It seems set up to cut angles accurately at about 60 degrees only. This is the angle that the saw blade tends to rest at when the locking lever is released. Ok, that's a slight exaggeration. The problem is that the blade simply will not lock and stay at 90 degrees. I have to use my full force to get the blade at 90, as it appears I have to push it beyond an angle stop I can hear it pushing against. Then when I push the locking lever to lock it into position the blade assembly simply springs out of position once I disengage the positioning wheel and then slips some more too. I can't see whether there's some sort of "fix" unless I dissect the saw which took hours to set up :( . The locking lever is simply not up to it and slips against the shiny new paint work. I haven't given up and I'm now looking for some projects that require accurate 60 degree cuts! :D

I'll be calling NMA on Monday. But it just means the whole weekend is gone.

Nikki

Hi Nikki
Sorry to hear about your problem-there are a few Kiti owners here. One will be along soon....
And welcome to the forum :wink:
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi Philly,

By hook or by crook, I'll get this table saw to cut at 90 degrees. It's got just too many other good qualities going for it. I'll wedge a piece of wood in there to prop up the heavy blade assembly even! :shock:

Nice web page BTW.

Nikki

Can I just say that I hate you for owning a Kity 419. I was bidding on one last weekend on eBay and the price just went too high. Having read your comments I wish I'd gone for it now!

I'll hate you even more if you tell me that you bought it off eBay last weekend :evil:

matt":18roxpbn said:
I'll hate you even more if you tell me that you bought it off eBay last weekend :evil:
:lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum, Nikki. Hopefully a fellow owner can help you out and save the weekend. What a bummer. :(

Cheers, Alf

Hi Nikki

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on joining the elite of tablesaw owners :? :) ! The 419 is a lovely saw.

It does take a bit of muscle to swing the blade upright, doesn't it? However, IIRC you should be able to press the handle at the front of the saw so as to engage a cog which, when the handle's turned, will enable you to control the movement of the blade much more accurately. I've only used this feature on my saw a couple of times so I may be mistaken, but I think that's how it works. I would go out into the shop and check this advice if I could, but unfortunately my 419 is currently jammed against the wall while building work is in progress :( .

Gill

Matt,

I am so very flattered to think I can evoke so much emocion. :wink: I'm suprised at how little these things depreciate, even after ten years. :evil:

No, that wasn't me on eBay. But it's a staple diet of bread and water for the coming months sitting around a rather sturdy kitchen TABLE.

Originally, I was going for a Scheppach TS2010. The two tables are like night and day. The 419, a bit more on the darker side..rather.

Nikki

I dont have a Kitty but I would asume there is an adjustable stop inside the saw- even if only a lock-nut. Both my much cheaper saws have a locknut stop which was out of adjustment when new.
Good luck

This might sound unhelpful, but my instinct is that you are doing something wrong. That's always the reason for this sort of thing happening to me, and I usually congratulate myself in a small way if I manage to catch myself before I break the damn thing.

Do you have the manual?

Gill,

That's what I've gathered. I press in the cog and turn the wheel, then lock the lever. Unfortunately, I think the saw has been set up to go only as high as 85 degrees. Anything beyond that is pushing the blade assembly where only unatural flexing of parts inside allows 90 and where the lever doesn't have the ability to hold a position where all the parts inside are screaming for it to let go. Something needs to be modified within. But I spent hours messing with silly nuts and bolts and then tuning it to perfection. A firm grasp of hieroglyphics needed for instructions, mind you. And now to undo all that work!

Nikki

Having just been out to the workshop and re-arranged the furniture :roll: so that I can access my Kity 419, I can confirm that the instructions I gave in my previous post should work. It does take a little strength (and not a little dexterity) to get the blade perfectly upright. You'll be pushing the blade about as far as it can travel.

You have my sympathies with regard to the assembly instructions for this saw - I don't know why they bothered to translate them from French to English.

Gill

Gill,

Simpy take a crash course in French and order the French version. But I'm afraid even the original instructions weren't written in a script that constitutes a modern language, hence the problem!

I think there could be an adjustable stop inside, as jmt has pointed out. But how to gain access to it without reducing the machine to atomic parts. Hmmm. This should be fun.

Nikki[/quote]

Are you sure there isn't some form of detent for 90 degrees?

Hi Nikki

The assembly instructions that came with my saw (I only took delivery of it earlier this summer) reminded me of the assembly instructions you used to get with flat-pack furniture from MFI back in the late 70's. Absolutely lamentable! And there's no operator's manual, either. Fortunately, my saw had been properly set up at the factory and I even found that blade was in perfect alignment :eek: !

Since I didn't need to dive into the mechanical components of the saw, I'm rather hoping that you won't have to, either. Like you, I found it difficult to get the blade perfectly upright at first but in the end it seemed to arrive at the desired position. I'd suggest you persevere with the handle and lever a little longer.

Gill

Jake":2wdaz1vf said:
Are you sure there isn't some form of detent for 90 degrees?

And you are on the wrong side of it as it were. So you'd be looking for a latch of some sort that you need to release while turning the wheel when moving off 90 degrees, and when you want to get back to 90 degrees. Maybe that's what this cog is that Gill is talking about.

Jake, just before 90 degrees I can feel the back of the assembly hitting a metallic stop. The front, though, still allows movement to the final 90 regardless. The back of the saw, having hit the stop sooner, is now forcing the front unit back into parallel. It's another force the locking lever has to work against.

The only "detent", I think, is that metallic part I can hear, which must be misaligned.

The cog is on the adjuster wheel. You have to turn it to change the angle of the blade. But it doesn't easily reach 90, without serious effort. Any more effort and I'll be pushing the table saw over! All other angles, 45 - 85, are a breeze.

Gill, you are lucky your blade is in perfect alignment. I can see that mine is a little out with the mitre slots. Plug 'n shim that is. Or is that shim 'n play? I don't want to over do it with the cogged wheel in case I break something. I think a side panel can be removed from machine to gain access. I'll go have a tinker now.

Nikki

Not sure how much you have got the blade projecting but on my Kity Bestcombi you cannot get 45 degrees with the blade wound all the way out, maybe you have the opposite problem, try it with the blade say 40mm projection.

Jason

Not sure how much you have got the blade projecting but on my Kity Bestcombi you cannot get 45 degrees with the blade wound all the way out, maybe you have the opposite problem, try it with the blade say 40mm projection.

The blade projection doesn't appear to make a difference. I have it fully wound out so that I can get my engineer's square resting on it.

I have found the part of the machine that is at fault for making it difficult for the blade to stay locked at 90. There are two curved channels, front and back, that the blade assembly follows when changing angle. The front one is lined with teeth making it a rack and pinion. The adjusting cog is the pinion. The back channel doesn't extend high enough to allow the assembly to reach 90 degrees. The front one does though. 90 degrees is obtainable only by having the assembly twisted.

I did find an angle stop, which is simply a nut and bolt. Adjusting it really doesn't make too much difference because of the channel at the back which is the first physical constraint reached.

So if the channel at the back is grooved out a bit higher the problem is fixed. That simply requires a jigsaw with a metal blade. Really groovy, not!

Nikki

NikkiC":i63yk1r2 said:
So if the channel at the back is grooved out a bit higher the problem is fixed. That simply requires a jigsaw with a metal blade. Really groovy, not!

When my saw arrived I had to set about it with a needle file to remove 'flashing' from various places. Could it be that you've got a similar but more significant problem?

People who don't own a Kity 419 must be shaking their heads in disbelief at the tribulations that some of us have endured. Nevertheless, the 419 is a smashing saw when it's set up properly and it is worth the initial aggravation.

Gill

When my saw arrived I had to set about it with a needle file to remove 'flashing' from various places. Could it be that you've got a similar but more significant problem?

I can see that some flashing is causing the table insert to project ever so slightly above the table. Not a problem.

And the channel, I could simply file it higher. I'll get a recommendation from the supplier.

People who don't own a Kity 419 must be shaking their heads in disbelief at the tribulations that some of us have endured. Nevertheless, the 419 is a smashing saw when it's set up properly and it is worth the initial aggravation.

Sure, if the problem isn't insurmountable, I don't care! All this baby needs is just a bit of honing and she'll be churning out nuggets.

BTW, my table extension is a couple of millimeters lower than the cast alloy table. What's the best way to raise it so that it's level?

Nikki

Back