My First ('proper') Workshop - table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbadcat

Reaction score
First thread ever so please humour me.

In recent months I have been fortunate in being able to create my very own workshop. This opportunity arose for a variety of reasons including needing to find more satisfying work, enlightenment from both this forum and youtube channels such as Marius Hornberger, Steve Ramsey, Matthias Wandel, Darbin Orvar and April Wilkerson (all very talented people) and most importantly a very very understanding and supportive partner.

Now comes the time to properly outfit the shop, my space is limited, I have a single garage and a leaky lean too but this is luxury in comparison to what I have had before.

My amazing partner has kindly bought me with a 12” Record Power Bandsaw which I really enjoy using. Now comes to the table saw. I have had enough of setting up guides and using circular saws and feel now is the time to invest. After a lot of research I narrowed my options down to three saws:

Jet JTS-600 Saw Bench - £1,249.96

Record Power TS250RS-PK/A - £1299.99

Axminster AW10BSB2 - £1,299.95

I have spent a couple of days travelling around to see the different tables in person, first was a one and a half hour trip to Axminster. First of all I would just like to say how impressed I am with the store, it feels like the apple store of the tool world, I have never encountered a store like this before and have always relied on Machine Mart, Screw Fix and B&Q. After having a quick look at the hobby combination machines, briefly glancing at the contractor type stores and playing with the sliding mechanism of the giant seven grand table saw I moved on to have a closer look at the AW. First impressions where that the saw felt solid, all of the tables and extensions are cast and the fence locks on both ends, this really dose give the feeling of quality.

Next was the Record Power. the TS250RS was not available so I instead had a look at the TS250C-PK/A thinking that this would give me an idea of what I could expect from the TS250RS-PK/A in regards to build quality. I was not as impressed with this saw as the fence did not feel as solid to me. another thing I did not like was the fact that the extension tables where not cast but as pointed out by my partner “why should this matter?”.

Last was the Jet JTS-600, again this did not have the cast extension tables and not as secure fence. I did like the outrigger table until I inspected the bearings which concerned me. It appears that in order to save on cost the sliding table relies on nylon bearings set horizontally with a v grove arrangement. I don’t think this is a good use of bearings and would have preferred to have seen liner bearings for this.

I think that I will go for the Axminster table but will appreciate any comments people may like to make.

I too was going to say consider a track saw. I've got a single garage and a small Ax TS200 (with side table and sliding table) and it's too big to try and use in the space for sheet goods. It's ok for cross cutting but so is my mitre saw. I would suggest getting a track saw and then see if you need a table saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have the Axminster AW10BSB2 and love it. Mine is spot on for accuracy, but I would agree with others, a track saw is hard to beat for breaking down sheet goods. I use the DeWalt saw, but run it on Festool track, and it's superb. I just place a sheet f insulation on a bench or floor and cut on that.

Simon

Depends what you want to use it for. I have, and like, the Record TS-250. It's a great saw if you are predominantly concerned with cutting panels, sheet goods etc. If you are primarily interested in ripping and working with solid timber, I would suggest the Axminster saw - having a good solid cast iron top either side of the blade is a definite advantage for this work, particularly for ripping. But then you already have a bandsaw you could use for this, so depends if you want to switch machines for the task. I looked at and discounted the Jet because I don't think a 600mm travel is adequate for panel saw type work - I would consider 1250mm a minimum.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I have the ts250rs with the side table extension. The fence on mine is solid but I don't like the screw type setting/fixing, think I would prefer the cam lock type. The side extension is heavy and I feel it could have done with a diagonal brace or leg to support it instead of just the fence rail and 4 bolts onto the cast main table. The sliding table is very nice robust and smooth but when set up does not quite have the capacity to crosscut a full 4'. A quick fettle and all was fine either im not following the instructions correctly or they were out dated. Another issue to overcome is the making of a zero clearance insert for the blade. The factory one is open on the side of the sliding table but Im sure I will get something sorted. On the plus side it is accurate when set up comes with a 5 year warranty and record power tend to have spares at hand if I ever need to use the warranty. A warning though all of your choices will swallow a single garage space so get a wheel kit.....I should have.
Axminster strangely appear to be out of stock of the AW10BSB2 at the moment.

Will your single garage space accommodate a sliding table saw? Download the respective manuals and check the required total footprint for the slider in use. If the manual doesn't state it, ask the supplier directly. This is a key bit of info to check before purchase.

Also, whoever you go with, try and get them to throw in some extras, i.e. additional blades or extraction ducting, etc. I have always got more than list price value with machinery at that price point (including from Axi).

Thanks for all of the input and apologies I have not responded sooner. I feel a table saw is the right way to go as I would like to do more then break down sheet material. So I have gone with the Axminster 10 inch trade table saw coupled with a trade grade extraction unit. We were able to get a little off the table saw in store which seemed a bit poor so my partner had another go over the phone and was able to get a much better deal and saved on both the saw and extraction. looking forward to it arriving in a few weeks.

I agree cammy9r :) wheel kits are the way ahead, might need to rig my own with the extended table assembly.

Thanks for the tip shed9, I don't think I quite have the room for a sliding table at the moment but have included this in the order (cheaper to buy now then later) as I am hoping to upgrade the workshop in the near future.

I had to pull myself away from the plainer/Thicknesser as space and budget certainly won't facilitate this at the moment. I'm picking up a small bench top model tomorrow which will do for now.

I have the ts250rs with the side table extension. The fence on mine is solid but I don't like the screw type setting/fixing, think I would prefer the cam lock type. The side extension is heavy and I feel it could have done with a diagonal brace or leg to support it instead of just the fence rail and 4 bolts onto the cast main table. The sliding table is very nice robust and smooth but when set up does not quite have the capacity to crosscut a full 4'. A quick fettle and all was fine either im not following the instructions correctly or they were out dated. Another issue to overcome is the making of a zero clearance insert for the blade. The factory one is open on the side of the sliding table but Im sure I will get something sorted. On the plus side it is accurate when set up comes with a 5 year warranty and record power tend to have spares at hand if I ever need to use the warranty. A warning though all of your choices will swallow a single garage space so get a wheel kit.....I should have.
Axminster strangely appear to be out of stock of the AW10BSB2 at the moment.

Hi Cammy

I’ve purchased a used RPts250rs that looked to be in good condition, I made a few cuts and all was square etc. After it was delivered I decided to inspect the internal parts , I tried to remove the blade but the nut is slipping , it won’t undo or tighten Ive tried all sorts of methods to release but come to the conclusion the threads inside the nut have worn as the arbour doesn’t move when spannering
I’m thinking of splitting the nut and replacing it , anyone else had a similar issue ?

regards

Rigger

Thanks for all of the input and apologies I have not responded sooner. I feel a table saw is the right way to go as I would like to do more then break down sheet material. So I have gone with the Axminster 10 inch trade table saw coupled with a trade grade extraction unit. We were able to get a little off the table saw in store which seemed a bit poor so my partner had another go over the phone and was able to get a much better deal and saved on both the saw and extraction. looking forward to it arriving in a few weeks.

I agree cammy9r :) wheel kits are the way ahead, might need to rig my own with the extended table assembly.

Thanks for the tip shed9, I don't think I quite have the room for a sliding table at the moment but have included this in the order (cheaper to buy now then later) as I am hoping to upgrade the workshop in the near future.

I had to pull myself away from the plainer/Thicknesser as space and budget certainly won't facilitate this at the moment. I'm picking up a small bench top model tomorrow which will do for now.

Could you give the percentage savings you were offered in store and then over the phone please?

Good luck with the machine.
Hope you have read some of the tablesaw safety threads here,
and not trusting anything but advice of good UK or European sources.
Have a read of this recent one if you haven't already.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...cks-to-cut-wood-safely-on-a-table-saw.130321/
Excellent reading for one who might be planning on making some of those dubious push shoes that are all over youtube.

All the best
Tom

Sorry to dig up an old thread, after having spent some time with the machine, I was wondering if you feel you made the right choice? Reason I ask is that I'm kind of in the same position now. I built myself a workshop back in 2019 and currently have a hand me down cheap table saw but I now want to do bigger and better things.......... I say better... time will tell on that one! Anywho, are you happy with yours?

Back