My First Proper Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim4321

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Have been going to a weekly woodwork class and have just finished the oak coffee table i have been making

here it is with one coat of oil on it, will let it soak in and do a couple more.

coffetable1.jpg

I wanted a simple but chunky oak table, and i'm glad i had the chance to make something to my exact design and specification. I designed it using turbo cad. I was originally going to put grooves between the boards but decided against it in the end

table3dplain.jpg

Cheers

jim[/img]

Jim,

Nice bit of woodwork.:D Should be a useful piece of furniture that you will get pleasure from using over the next 100 years or so.... :roll: :wink:

Well done Jim, Like Travis I am a sucker for look of a well finished piece of oak. Simple design makes the most of the wood, I like it.

Now that would look nice scaled up to a dining table :)

Better get making some matching coasters in case some "friend" messes the surface up.

Jim

Lovely table and very well proportioned, I love working in Oak.

Are you going to give us some details?

Hoe did you fix the breadboard ends, whast thickness is the top, did you M&T the rails etc.

cheers everyone

Chas, its like you read my mind. coasters are the next thing on the list.

I dug my good ol Ferm biscuit jointer out to join the boards and the bread board ends. where the ends were over hanging, i trimmed them with the jigsaw and then ran my router down the side to get it nice and flush

The rails are M&T its was the most time consuming part of the project. the top is 25mm thick, the legs are 70 x 70 and the rails are 70 x 40 so nice and chunky.

once i've got a few coats of oil on, do you think that will be it or should i put wax on? not sure of what the benefits will be, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

cheers

Jim

Nice table, Jim. I'm sure that'll become a family heirloom as time goes by.

Gill

Hello Jim, Lovely table, a fine piece of work. I hope you have signed and dated it somewhere. One of the silly little things I have always done, but its nice to look back on in years to come. Keep up the good work.

Cheers Alan.

Thing of beauty, Jim. A nice design and well-executed - and it doesn't get much better than that :)

Latest posts

Back