My First Pen Turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomthumbtom8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello every one well Sunday I got around to spend some time turning and I did start and finish a Acrylic Pen

Here goes with the full story

I bought a pen kit for my self at Christmas from Axminster and pen mandrel with the bushing kit.
Now after that I bought a cheap Mandrel and a chuck holder as the mandrel didn't fit my new Lathe (complicated)

After buying a lathe of ebay that was only fit for the bin and it did end up at the local tip I bought a new lathe from Axminster.

OK so after buying the Mandrel of ebay I found the bushing kit from Axminster didn't fit as a had to use the universal bushings that came with the Mandrel from ebay.

So as you know from My other post my very first drilling smashed the end's of the Acrylic and was forced to buy a colt pen drill, I would really recommend these drill's as they are as good as Axminster clam them to be.

So I was back to square one "A long frustrating Journey" with nothing to show for my trouble
Well I started again this time I painted the barrels as some times the brass will show through great tip that was past on to mE from this forum.

so now my brass is glued into the Acrylic But I had to buy a barrel trimmer I bought one with a 7, 8, 9, 10mm shaft

Top tip mark the brass with a pen before you start to trim the ends so you can see when you are at the right depth.

Any way so I had to use the Universal mandrel as the bought one from axminster didn't fit But I soon realized the bushing kit that was bought with the kit from axminster was wrong as well.

My main gripe was no instructions at all with the pen kit or the bushing kit.

so armed with my Digital Vernier I started to turn to the bushing kit from Axminster and this is when I found the bushing kit was wrong (AFTER ASSEMBLY)

7445873734_79833f316f.jpg

7445873346_e92752a4ee.jpg

As you can see by this image there is a gap between the pocket clip and the Acrylic barrel
suggestions on solving this would be greatly received also the pen tip protector need gluing in but unsure of the glue to use

7445871680_b76f68e91a.jpg

When the pen is click together you can see that the Acrylic is to thick (could of taken another 1mm of it ) but I'm happy with it, Just the pocket clip and lack of tightness on the nib protector

7445872270_7b02d91157.jpg

More to the point my son love's it and can't wait to take it to school (they have to write in fountain pen in English)

Tom

Hi Tom

As long as the new owner is happy you should be happy

Its all a learning curve , you will know for next time

Happy pen turning :wink:

you seem to have learned half a dozen lessons in one go there Tom and still had a good looking pen and a happy recipient at the end of it :) .Result!
I have a small box somewhere containing whats left of the pen kits after my 'lessons'! I guess all those #-o moments are the price of experience!

That is one good looking pen Tom well done mate I turned my first pens out of ebony and within an hour they all split open sanding to fast

Tom,

That pen, others (stiles and bates/craft supplies) call it the one diameter or traditional fountain pen, needs a file to rebate the clip to take the pen clip so that the top is flush with the top of the brass tube. You can use a 3mm flat file or even a rotary tool. Unscrew the plastic insert in the cap, remove the plastic, insert a rod and tap the top out, notch it and replace the bits and you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back