My first MFT bench and remote controlled shop vac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Steely

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve made my first MFT style table using the Axminster PARF Mk2 system. As you can see in the pictures I ended up making two surfaces in 18mm WPB ply, the second being on folding shelf brackets.
I’ve been overdosing on Peter Millard videos recently and following his review I bought the Scheppach HD2P extractor vac (all I could afford after the PARF purchase..). I’ve been looking at ways of switching it on automatically and came to the conclusion that a wireless remote control would work out best for me. The vac has lots of space inside for additional electronics bits and I bought a wireless controller from Ebay and installed it. It’s wired in parallel with the original switch so either the switch or the remote control will power it on. The remote control is held on to the saw with Velcro and may be revised in the future. The Scheppach is great for the price but the hose is stiff and horrible so may have to be replaced in the future.
20211111_180926.jpg
20211111_180944.jpg
20211111_180954.jpg
20211111_181013.jpg
20211111_181352.jpg
20211111_181414.jpg
20211111_181526.jpg
20211111_181721.jpg

20211111_182056.jpg
UJK Parf Mk II Guide System
433 MHz 12V Wireless Remote Control Transmitter Receiver Switch Module 1CH Relay | eBay
https://cpc.farnell.com/scheppach/hd-2p/dust-extractor-for-power-tool/dp/TL15876
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZTH7RCM?th=1

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Is the wireless remote Bluetooth, or something else? Just curious. The Scheppach is great for the money - especially for this kind of application, where it only runs for short periods as a few folks have told me they can be prone to overheating. The filtration isn’t stellar, but you can improve it greatly IME by replacing the OEM bag with a Festool bag; I did a vid about that here if you haven’t seen it. Great looking MFT-alike too! 👍👍

I built mine with the Parf II system as well. I also run my dust extraction with a wireless remote control. One day you might consider adding in a cyclone system (as I have done).

while it may be nice to have an auto start dust extraction, for home use, a wireless remote works well enough.

If you can find a way to route the just extraction piping from above, the inflexibility of the pipe is less of an issue and it stops the pipe from snagging on the edges of the bench. You may even find that you could build yourself a dust hub (just take a look at Peter Parfitts videos regarding this) and then you will have even more flexibility and can add extraction tube in a more usage efficient way.

Is that 16 amp socket on the end of your bench wired into that extension lead ?

It is nice to see someone making one not in some form of MDF, it looks good. I operate my vacuum extractor manualy as I am of that generation where we had to be hands on to operate anything such as the B&W TV!

Is that 16 amp socket on the end of your bench wired into that extension lead ?

It looks like it’s being used to supply to the bench, which means that it’s the wrong way round too. There’s going to be a length of cable with live exposed contacts lying around somewhere.

It looks like it’s being used to supply to the bench, which means that it’s the wrong way round too. There’s going to be a length of cable with live exposed contacts lying around somewhere.
There's no flap on it, so it's probably a surface plug, as opposed to a surface socket.

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The remote controlled switch comes supplied with 2x key fob type remotes that use RF to control the switch - so not Bluetooth as such.

The Scheppach vac is not the most sophisticated machine but it does the job and the form factor (oblong box) suits my limited space setup. I'll look into the Festool bag upgrade. (Perhaps it's a bit of Festool kit I can afford...)

I'd love to build a cyclone dust collection setup but don't have the space.

The 16A wall mounted plug on the bench is male made by PCE.
I use these ceeform connectors a lot in my work and there are no 'widow makers’' in my setup..
The cabling is 2.5mm H07RNF 3-core

I am also in the process of lopping off the long cables from my router/plunge saw/jigsaw/multitool, etc and replacing them with short cables and small round connectors (see pic). When I looked into doing this I priced up using Neutrik PowerCon's but although they're great I couldn't justify the cost, as a mated pair comes to £18.24 including VAT (from CPC). So my alternative connector is literally half the price for a mated pair, again from CPC.

https://cpc.farnell.com/mbs-connect...e-plug-3-p-7-12mm/dp/CN21364?CMP=TREML007-003https://cpc.farnell.com/mbs-connect...r-socket-3-pole-7-12mm/dp/CN21357?ost=cn21357
The Neutrik has the advantage of being a twist click and my cheaper version has an outer barrel that needs to be rotated - but only by 180° or so to prevent disconnection.

The cabling I've used for the extensions is silicon 1.5mm 2-core + plus a curly cable which is PVC jacketed.

Best regards to everyone in 2022!

Dan.

DSCN1062[1].JPG

Last edited:
Hi all,

I’ve made my first MFT style table using the Axminster PARF Mk2 system. As you can see in the pictures I ended up making two surfaces in 18mm WPB ply, the second being on folding shelf brackets.
I’ve been overdosing on Peter Millard videos recently and following his review I bought the Scheppach HD2P extractor vac (all I could afford after the PARF purchase..). I’ve been looking at ways of switching it on automatically and came to the conclusion that a wireless remote control would work out best for me. The vac has lots of space inside for additional electronics bits and I bought a wireless controller from Ebay and installed it. It’s wired in parallel with the original switch so either the switch or the remote control will power it on. The remote control is held on to the saw with Velcro and may be revised in the future. The Scheppach is great for the price but the hose is stiff and horrible so may have to be replaced in the future.
View attachment 121632View attachment 121633View attachment 121634View attachment 121635View attachment 121636View attachment 121637View attachment 121638View attachment 121639
View attachment 121631UJK Parf Mk II Guide System
433 MHz 12V Wireless Remote Control Transmitter Receiver Switch Module 1CH Relay | eBay
https://cpc.farnell.com/scheppach/hd-2p/dust-extractor-for-power-tool/dp/TL15876
BSTKEY 2 Pcs 50cm White Metal Triangle Folding Shelf Bracket Support Wall Bracket (Board and Screws are Not Included) : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Nice work, I bet you can't wait to use it. I'm building my first ever workbench in the spring, I'm going to layout my dog holes in a square pattern like yours but you've also got the row around the edge and up the middle - can I ask, is there a specific reason for these?

I will say that is probably one of the first I have seen with a hinged part, if that can be locked firmly in the vertical it could be very useful.

The rolling bench was already made before I bought the PARF kit so the hole layout is optimised/maximised for the footprint of the table top. The folding section table top is slightly smaller because it was an offcut.
I aligned the holes of the two tops with some custom made guides.

For the work I do, the accuracy of my 90° cuts is absolutely fine.

For future benches I won't bother drilling out all of the 20mm holes, i'll just drill the small guide holes (using the PARF sticks) and enlarge them to 20mm when needed. The reason for this is:
1. it'll be quicker to make
2. it'll reduce wear on the (expensive to replace) 20mm cutter
3. Having less 20mm holes means less dust falling through the holes on to the contents of the drawers under the bench top.

In a related note I purchased some 20mm aluminium round bar stock from ebay and cut it into 50mm lengths to use as dogs. The bar fit snugly into the holes and work well. I think I bought 600mm x 20mm bar for about £11.68 delivered from here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193196201237

Best wishes

Thanks Dan, I think a minimum amount of 20mm dog holes to start with is a good idea, then add more if/when required.

I'll was going to set them at 100mm centres but I guess there's no harm in setting them at 96mm as this may become useful down the line.

Hi Dan and others who might be interested
re the small circular mains connectors you have fitted to your tools. check out these as well as they are even better value
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WPQC2.html
and if you can find a duraplug 4 way extension ( i have found them for a couple of quid at car boots)they have fixing holes on the top that go through the block so would avoid cable tying it to the bench
ie like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294643733113?hash=item449a229279:g:KvUAAOSwDOFhj-Gu
hope this helps someone

Latest posts

Back