My first ever turning attempt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
So thought I would start with an easy one...

78f538a6.jpg

Done with the Rutlands pen kit on the little Jet lathe I bought from George. I think I have a bit to go to reach his standard, though.

Not sure I like the finish.. It's the polish stick that came with the kit, and has filled the grain in dark and made it look quite grubby. Will have to try CA on the next one.
Also, the finished size was exactly the same as the middle bush, yet is slightly narrower that the pen middle - just a fraction, but hey, to me, a fraction counts...

Best thing is though, I just made it this morning for the wife's birthday, and she is thrilled with it (or at least too nice to say otherwise)

Si.

Yup, abrasives can hide a multitude of sins... :)
Actually it went pretty well - or at least once I had abandoned the skew and used a spindle gouge instead...

Si

looking good. :)
i had similar issues with the finish on the first couple of pens i made, but i am just about getting the hang of it now after....
a) following John T's 'how to' with ca/blo http://www.woodturned.co.uk/html/blo-ca_finnish.html
simples and works a treat :)
b) investing in some micromesh pads finishing-a-pen-t54259.html
really, you will be amazed at the difference :shock:
c) not using the polish in the rutlands kit. i too find that i dulls the finish a tad but that may be down to me not preparing it properly?? :?
one thing to be wary of though, pens sort of become addictive, surrounded by the little blighters now :)

Cheap source of BLO?
Is see b&q have 500ml for £5
I would rather spend less for a smaller quantity.

Si

Si,
That is an excellent result for a first time turning.
Nev is right, pens can get addictive, but, if they're good and different
they can sell well,l particularly towards Christmas for gifts.
For supplies I can recommend Timberbits.com in Australia, even with postage they are very competetive.
(They're also on ebay under A1penkits)
I have no connection with Timberbits, just a fan of their kits BTW.

These are two examples of their kits.

Junior Gentleman

Sierra

I have no connection with Timberbits, just a fan of their kits.
If you are interested in making pens and I can help please ask.(My pens are on photobucket under the name Traincaptain)

John. B

Yep, I had logged timberbits as a good source for pen supplies.
I think i am a ways off yet, but where can people recommend as good ways of selling the pens they make?

Si

Pens aren't really addictive. I have only sold about 65 and so far they have bought this MacBook :mrgreen:

I still have and use my first pen and apart from the shape I do looks very much like yours. The main difference is that I have a bit more practice than you, about 15 years :)

Great stuff mate! And welcome to the oh so slippery slope :mrgreen:

As a matter of interest, I get my kits from Axminster and cut all of my own blanks from whatever I think would look good.

Oh how I envy people who at their first attempt at turning make something really great!

My first ever turning, nearly 20 years ago, was a bowl and my gouge went through the bottom and was jerked out of my hands! I felt like giving up there and then!

Lovely pen, welcome to the obsession.

Regards Peter.

This one was cut from an interesting piece of oak I had lying around.
Looking again at the photo above, the perspective makes it look more bulbous than it is - it's actually quite sleek, and fits very nicely in the hand. I think I will have a play with the remaining kits and then give a JR gentlemen's kit a go as a pen for myself.

Si

That is really impressive. And the fact that your wife is a fan helps with the future tool budget...

She didn't know I'd bought a lathe until I presented her with this. I'm expecting the Spanish inquisition at some point...
(nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!!).

Si.

Si,
Nice one! And to think, we were talking total novice, without even a lathe when we met at the Worcester Bash, (please say I am writing to the same person!!).
The kids and I have butchered a bit more wood since then, though on Wed at the club night I made my first mushroom, (don't know why we do mushrooms, but they are quite addictive). The green horse chestnut one today was going so well until beginner's luck turned into beginner's overconfidence and I now have a horse chestnut stump and a small bruise on my hand!
Cheers and well done,
Greg

Yes, that's me. At the bash, I had had a lathe for about 3 days, but no chisels. I hadn't managed to find any workshop time until this morning, but will see if I can squeeze another in tomorrow.

Si

I can also put my vote in for A1 pen kits (timber bits)
I get my seirra's, cigars, and jr gents pens from them. As previously said, even with postage they work out cheap.

Nice pen... welcome to the slippery slope. Pens are seriously addictive (wait till you get to the acrylics, they look so good, work of advice tho, paint the tubes and holes... saves wasting soooo many blanks on your first go's!)

Latest posts

Back