My first ever project!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
It seemed to make sense, living here, to make something "traditional" for the garden. Its a working windmill with built in bearings and "lazy susan". It was entirely made from pine although I ended up painting it as I'm too lazy to keep painting it with biets.
Oh, the beer bottle is to give scale although I did enjoy it sometime earlier :lol:
Duiker-molen.JPG

Thanks!
I was on my Xmas holidays so had plenty of time! The whole thing took about a week (on and off) although at least four days were spent painting three coats of each colour and waiting for the pipper to dry. If I had left it without paint I guess it took three days?

How could you? You turned the beer bottle so we can't see the label. Bet you bought it at Tescos and it's not proper Dutch beer!

How will your windmill be powered?

Regards, John

By the wind of course. At the moment the small canvas sails are yet to be fitted but I intend it to work as it was meant to. I built the sail arms from two pieces and bolted them together. That way I can trap the lead edge of the sail in the arm and "roll out" the sail when required.
This type of "molen" didn't have a tail for direction but I guess I'll have to do something or I'll have to mess about with it all the time.
I'm looking at making it pump water to the garden too! All I need to find is some type of mechanical pump. It might also be a bit small to be useful.

The beer was a Heiniken and not too bad :lol: . At least the strength here is the same as the "export strength" elsewhere which makes it a bit better. All the labels fell off because I kept the crate in the "external sub-zero environment repository" (garden) and they got wet.

Hi Duiker
Very nice windmill that. Let us have another picture when the sails are complete and it's working too

That's just the sort of project which appeals to me :). Smashing job.

What sort of wood is it made out of, and are you going to do anything to help the unpainted areas withstand the weather? How do you intend to anchor it to the ground?

Gill

Hi Tony,

Thanks, will do.

Next project is an egg holder/caddy for the kitchen. I'll post the pictures when its done but so far it looks "funky". It is supposed to be a bit of a novelty but I dont want to give it all away yet.

Hi Gill,

Glad you like it, thanks. I didn't make any plans as such but could probably knock a simple drawing up if I get time?

It was all made from a simple pine plank bought from the local DIY shop (cant find a decent timber merchant for love or money?). The whole thing is painted inside and out so no real problems with protection really. The spindles are all packed in grease so I dont think I'll have too much of a problem where the spindles pass through either.

The anchor is another issue. I will make a simple octagonal base and fix that using larger blocks internally. As it is quite small I dont think it will need too much of an anchor?

Cheers again,

Mick

Back