My First Egg Beater... it's all *your* fault, guys

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Went to an antiques fair in Ayr yesterday and came away with this lot. The guy was selling a load of stuff for his son, who restores old boats at the harbour in Irvine and apparently keeps finding these old tools in the process.

img6640resized.jpg

A North Bros. "Yankee" No. 10 ratchet screwdriver - handle a bit cracked but still works perfectly.

img6641resized.jpg

Robert Sorby screwdriver - what does the squirrel/kangaroo creature signify? :) EDIT: never mind, figured it out: http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/company_info.htm

img6642resized.jpg
img6644resized.jpg

A Stormont 1/4" chisel - looks like it was still being used yesterday, it would take me about a minute to sharpen:

img6647resized.jpg
img6648resized.jpg

And last, but not least - you all know what this is!

img6651resized.jpg

img6653resized.jpg

img6656resized.jpg

img6658resizedresized.jpg

img6662resized.jpg

I did the nice old man a favour by taking the lot off his hands for a tenner. :p

A good haul there!

Love the North Brothers screwdriver, and lucky to find an MF 120A with the transfer and the side handle! I've had 7 or 8 of these pass through my hands in the last few months, only two had their handle and just one had the label, but it was missing half a dozen teeth. I think they tend to have had hard lives, but yours looks like it will clean up nicely.

Welcome to the slope, by the way! :twisted: :wink:

is that the slope full of crazy people obsessively collecting dozens of each item? haha, no way! (honestly!) i'm quite happy to buy one nice old example of each type of tool, try and make it look nice, and still have plenty room in my workshop to hide from the wife. ;)

anyway, work in progress on the drill:

img6868resized.jpg

img6869resized.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the cleanup of the red painted areas, they're good enough for me. all the teeth have cleaned up beautifully too.

I did some googling for 'restored millers falls 120A' and came across this photo posted by a certain Mr Scouse on this very forum!

31365946.jpg

so you are the expert on this and i would like to ask for some advice, please. ;)

1. which type of wood are the handles? cherry? beech?
2. how did you manage to remove the handle that's riveted to the metal plate? (i.e. the handle you rotate to work the drill). and more importantly, would it be easy for someone like me to re-attach it? it'lll be so much easier to fix up both parts if they're separated.

cheers!

well done Alan... agree re the North Bros, and the Millers is a nice one. Respect for just going for one of things - shows real self-control, and that coming from a bloke that wanted me to buy the Darwinator from France just so we could all see if the balls spin (they do).

Latest posts

Back