My first efforts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
With the help of many contributors to this site I have managed to turn out the following using the tools and equipment left to me by my late father.

These are literally the only things I have ever done and would appreciate any constructive critisism.

Duiker-knotted_cup.jpg

Very nice, I think your Dad would be proud of you. :)

Thanks for posting the pictures I love seeing what the rest of you are making. 8)

Well done. Thats quite some stuff. You seem to be taking to it like a duck to water!

Adam

Looks like you've been busy Mick,
Some nice work there, you must be pleased and I'm sure your dad would have been.
thanks for posting the pictures.

cd

Mick Well Done. You have been busy. Are those babies rattles?

My grandfather used to make goblets with captive rings like like - brings back memories.
Andy

Sorry Mick, I can't offer constructive critism 'cause I'm shocked at how good they are. Are you sure you haven't done this before? :wink:

excellent Mick well done, although i have a feeling you are going to be in my shoes soon when SWMBO starts asking "What do you expect me to do with all those bowls" 8)

Hi Peeps,

thanks for the comments :oops: Makes me a little embarrassed to be honest. I expected less praise than you all gave and I'm chuffed to pieces!!!! :lol:

Honest Tony, everything I've ever turned is sitting there in the photo's, thanks mate :oops:

Hi dedee,
Yep, they are sopposed to be baby rattles and were made for my "asignment" from the turning club I joined last week. First project was just an excercise in skills (turn between centres to a given design and closest to the drawing wins). This project was to turn a captive ring "ramelaar" or rattle. Lets hope they think its as good as you guys!

Once again, thanks for the comments, I'm off back to work but I'll keep you updated as to my progress with the "Killer Gouges" :lol:

UK Tony,

SWMBO loves it all so far. "Can you mke me this, can you make me that". Soon I'll be knee deep in bowls (makes a change from chippings I guess). At least I can start giving them away when they get too much. Who knows, in another few years perhaps I can sell them on Queens day (public holiday in NL where you are allowed to set up stalls at the side of the road and flog all sorts of old junk whilst getting very drunk in the name of the Queen).

Mick,

I think you have been holding out on us! Coming on here asking for advice, and all the time knocking out work to that standard!

Very nice indeed - do you know what timbers the bowls were made from?

I made a baby's rattle on the turning course that I went on a few years back - they are interesting to make alright. Trouble is, babies tend to destroy them when they get their hands on them. :(

Keep it up mate - at the rate you are going, we will all be asking you for advice soon! :D

Regards

Gary

Nice work Mick

Tony has really said it all for me.

I just hope my efforts at mastering the shaping of a simple bit of wood evolve to that level sometime in the near future.

Very nice, Mick - well done!

I particularly like the bowl in what looks like zebrano - one of my favourite woods.

I wouldn't want to be in range of the baby holding one of those rattles if it suddenly got mad! :lol:

What finish did you use?

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi People<

Thanks again for all your praise. I'm really flattered as I really do rely on you all as the experts.

The wooden dishes are indeed Zebra. Nice wood although this ins one I had trouble with the end grain "roughness" with.
I finished all the bits in various things (my Dad had loads of stuff). Some with Crystaline wax, some in a hard wax likle sealing wax and others in friction polish. Personally I like the hard wax finish best although it does dull if you handle the work too much.

Just before I left (In Moscow on business) I made a bowl with a lid! Took me nearly all day but I'm happy with the result and it looks great. Its made from a piece of wood given to me (same as first picture) by a mate (from Radius) which is nicely sported too. I dont want to "show off" anymore but I'll post a picture if anyone is interested.

Cheers again,

Mick

Come on Mick - don't be shy.

Post the pic for us - you know you want to! :D

I would certainly like to see it - boxes are one of my favourite items to turn, so I always like to see what other turners are doing with them - a good source of inspiration I find!

Latest posts

Back