My First Dovetails..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMoore

Established Member
Reaction score
well, below are the pics of my first attempt at a dovetail joint,
im quite pleased with them, although there is always room for improvement!
i did find it quite difficult to get a good fit, due to the MDF,
i hope in a good hardwood it would be easier to trim to fit?
i know the accuracy of the size of dovetails needs great improvement,
but like i said im quite pleased

Click for pic

Admin edit: direct image link didn't want to play ball :D

Hi Matt,

What Philly said :shock:

As to the picture, the picture does not show but if you copy and paste the address into the browser it loads, not sure why it wont load in the page, may be Adam will have some thoughts on it. 8)

Sorted that out, Matt. Yahoo's a major pain at not allowing direct linking unfortunately.

Darn good first attempt. Get yourself some decent wood to play with though - all that hard work for MDF is enough to make me cry.
cry.gif
The beauty of using real wood is it's easier to fill up any gaps without it noticing. Not that you'll need to of course, but...
wink.gif
What the dovetail gurus all tend to do is use one wood softer than the other IIRC, so it can crush a little and the fit isn't so crucial. Don't do what I repeatedly do, and try to make perfectly fitting dovetails in oak - it's one of the worst.

Cheers, Alf

Matt, great to hear that you've had a bash. Have you had a squiz at the Crosman video I recommended?

Sorry to say that I can't see the picture, and clicking the link just brings the dreaded error message. Anyone else having this problem?

JS

I clicked the link and pasted the link to the address bar and still got 'Page cannot be displayed' grr

Grrr, the link did work, but I'm getting an error message now too. I don't think I botched the page address when I edited it... Matt, email me the image if you want and I'll stick it on my Uploadit account. If you can make it a bit smaller that'd be a bonus.

Cheers, Alf

Nice one Matt. Try hardwood as everyone else said. Even Pine is a pig to cut dovetails when compared to Mahognay or Ash.

Oak is hell though DAMHIKT

Back