My first curved corner...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petermillard

Established Member
Reaction score
Having started the year with (for me) a big project it seems that I’ve ended the year with another - though indoors this time. And it also happens to be the occasion of my first curved corner wall; turned out OK:-

final-1.jpg

This was a bathroom adjacent to the main bedroom of a maisonette - the room was used as a study/dressing-room, and the bathroom had to be compact enough (1.8m sq) for the remaining room to be usable, with as much storage as possible above. It's also one of the darkest/poorly lit rooms I've worked in, so apologies if a few of the photos have wonky colours.

Anyhoo, after agreeing plans etc... I started by marking everything out:-

day1.jpg

then the studwork goes up pretty quickly...

studwork.jpg

then the curved wall/corner - just a double-skin of bendy ply, and no, that isn't every clamp I own!

curve.jpg

After the plumbers and sparkies do the first fix, I can get it all tacked-up...

tacked up.jpg

... and the ceiling in, filled and sanded. Second fix for the electrics - we have lights! - then tiling, paint the interior, floor down etc..., second fix plumbing, paint exterior... Of course, a curved wall needs curved skirting :)

skirting.jpg

Then the woodwork can be painted, doors fitted - threshold was made from an old floorboard, worked out nice against the bamboo flooring...

Threshold.jpg

And finally, we're all done, with a little time to spare before Christmas :)

interior.jpg

final.jpg

Customer was very happy - she has more storage above the bathroom than I have in the back of my van - and everybody loves the curved wall. Shame we couldn't continue the cornice/plasterwork around the new wall, but the quotes we had were crazy money, and the project was on a pretty tight budget. Not exactly fine woodworking, but all in all a few weeks well spent. :D

Cheers, Pete

Attachments

• final.jpg
    final.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,153
  • day1.jpg
    day1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,153
  • studwork.jpg
    studwork.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2,153
  • curve.jpg
    curve.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,153
  • tacked up.jpg
    tacked up.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,153
  • skirting.jpg
    skirting.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,153
  • Threshold.jpg
    Threshold.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,153
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,153
  • final-1.jpg
    final-1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2,153
I like that a lot (I've got a thing for curved walls)

What did you have to do to the skirting ?

And, do those stud walls connect by anything other than the ply ?

dm65":1vvi0pca said:
I like that a lot (I've got a thing for curved walls)
What did you have to do to the skirting ?
And, do those stud walls connect by anything other than the ply ?
Thanks. The skirting was simply sawn almost through (a couple of mm shy) from the back, and a couple of mm between the kerfs. Remarkably bendy when you do that. And the stud walls aren't connected apart from the ply; sure are fixed firmly to the ceiling and the floor joists though ;)

Cheers, Pete

Really nice work, I hope that the bent walls (vertically) are a symptom of camera lens 'barrel' distortion. :lol:

That's turned out very well.

Is the whole wall skimmed over with plaster? I was wondering about cracks appearing along the joins where the ply meets the plasterboard, or is it a non-issue - I do over think things ad nauseam...

No skills":207end1i said:

Is the whole wall skimmed over with plaster? I was wondering about cracks appearing along the joins where the ply meets the plasterboard, or is it a non-issue - I do over think things ad nauseam...

That's exactly my thoughts too. The plaster would certainly need some metal lath in it, or there will in time be cracks in the join from the different substrates.

No skills":n0paaipq said:

Thanks very much. No, the wall was tapered-edge plasterboard, taped and filled, and the ply was also tapered and taped, then filled in the usual way. I'm certainly not expecting any cracks - but I did Wallrock (fibre liner) the wall as well, before painting, just in case :D

If I may ask some stupid questions, the stud walls are attached to the joists in the floor and ceiling correct? How do you locate them short of ripping floorboards and tearing down plaster? Will a stud finder work?

Did you have to take any waterproofing measures on the inside?

Lovely finish by the way, they ply turned out perfectly.

Had to google the wallrock - interesting range of lining papers, might have a use for one of the insulated types. I do like taper edge plasterboard, not hard to get a good smooth wall at all for somebody like me that has no plastering skills.

Once again, good show.

:)

Biliphuster":tao7o2wd said:
If I may ask some stupid questions, the stud walls are attached to the joists in the floor and ceiling correct? How do you locate them short of ripping floorboards and tearing down plaster? Will a stud finder work?

Did you have to take any waterproofing measures on the inside?

Lovely finish by the way, they ply turned out perfectly.
Hi and thanks. The floorboards were coming up anyway so they were easy to find, and the ceiling joists were found in the time-honoured way of tapping until I hit a solid-sounding bit, then drilling a few small holes to confirm it! Never found a stud-finder to be worthwhile personally. I didn't do anything special re waterproofing - if it was a wet-room I would have tanked it, but as it is there's just a membrane under the ply flooring, and a combined underlay & DPC under the bamboo.

Re the Wallrock - never tried any of the fancier stuff, but it's a great cover-up on 'difficult' walls.

Cheers, Pete

Back