My first Chuck, do I really need to spend that much?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dickymint

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got the bug to upgrade from my face plate to my first chuck.

With the Axminster deluxe and the Supa Nova 2 at £130-140 that's quite an investment.
Whilst visiting my local tool store, I found that the Record Chuck set is on special offer at £49.99. That would represent a huge saving.

Are there any real good reasons, as a novice turner, why I shouldn't go for the Record chuck?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Dicky Mint.

Hi Dicky Mint,

You say you already have the bug for an upgrade so the best reason is that it won't be long at all before you find you have the bug to upgrade to one of the better chucks, if only for all the accessories that then become available to you. :wink: A look at the Axminster catalogue will show you what I mean.

In any case, certainly look at a scroll chuck with single handed key operation (as opposed to one operated by two 'tommy' bars - for which you would find three hands are often necessary) and built in indexing ring.

My opinion FWIW - hope this helps for starters.

Cheers,

Trev.

A Novice wants to spend more time Turning and less time fiddling with his chuck...

That was the best advice i received on here - i ignored it first i brought the Record Chuck then i found something cheap at Craft and the whole lot ended up on Ebay.

I'm still a novice, i still have to warn air traffic control i'm on my lathe but its a great deal easier with the Nova

Good luck

Tony

I was seriously thinking of the Axminster super precision chuck for my new lathe, having upgraded from an Axminster CCL.....but I decided for the interim to make do with lumps of 6" x 2" pine rounded and put on the screw chuck - and the work mounted in that. I was a bit dubious at first, but everything's holding well and I'm getting great results - maybe I'll stick with this - £150 buys a lot of 6 x 2 !

Chris.

Dickymint":2o9u832g said:
Hi all,

With the Axminster deluxe and the Supa Nova 2 at £130-140 that's quite an investment.
Yes, it is, but it's a one-off investment. Chucks that are supplied with an insert are portable from lathe to lathe - a real plus when you "outgrow" your current lathe. I bought an Axminster Super Precision and slapped it on my (then) existing POS lathe, knowing that I'd be upgrading in the future. A new insert and it fitted onto my Hegner an absolute treat, plus I was already used to handling and using it.

Whilst visiting my local tool store, I found that the Record Chuck set is on special offer at £49.99. That would represent a huge saving.
A short-term saving, maybe, but you do get what you pay for. The Record is nowhere near as much chuck as the two others you mentioned, for many reasons.

Are there any real good reasons, as a novice turner, why I shouldn't go for the Record chuck?
You won't be a novice turner for very long - getting a good quality chuck will both enhance the turning experience, plus future-proof you when you get another lathe - oh, yes, you will! :)

Ray.

Dicky
I'm guessing that the cheaper Record chuck set is the RP 3000, good system but as intimated by others, 6 months or so from now you'll be wanting to upgrade...

You have some good advice on this thread, bite the bullet and invest in a single handed scroll chuck and you'll be set up for years to come... the only extra expenditure may be investing in extra chuck jaws but if you don't need them ... don't buy them!

Have you checked out the previous threads on chucks?

btw I have a Bonham 100, nova, 2 supernovas, Record RP 4000 and an Axminster Super Precision: all with a range of jaws to suit all my needs... I used to have 2 RP 300s but sold them... work it out!

OK, finally done it, I've got my first chuck.

SWMBOAKALOML gave me a pass out to go to the tool store demo day.

The visiting turner had gone home sick, though he must have been really ill as he had left all his RS tools at the shop. Anyway I got caught up in the event (excuse to spend money) and got the wallet out.

LOML is out this afternoon, so I get chance to play with my new toy.

Dicky Mint

Hi Oldsoke, I went for the SuperNova 2.

Just got back from a "meths shopping spree" and just off to the garage for a play with some of my green wood and my new chuck.

Bye! :D

Dicky Mint.

Don't go for these very cheep chucks. They are OK for a while but soon you will notice vibrations if not worse.
That, as already written, is a one off investment, go for quality :)
If I were to choose one today I'll still go for a Oneway or a Vicamarc (I stil have both running marvlously :wink: )

Back