My first bandsaw box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiddler

Established Member
Reaction score
Decided to make a bandsaw box to try out my newly acquired bandsaw. I pruned a dangerous Silver Birch last year, so I decided to use one of the branches as my project. I cut a 4" length from a 4" log and went to work. Here it is being glued up.

IMG00377-20120219-1444.jpg

IMG00378-20120219-1444.jpg

After this I decided that the waste from the drawer was big enough to make another box. Sadly my 1/4" bandsaw blade wouldn't turn sharp enough so I finished it off on my scroll saw. Forgot to take pics of this 'cos the grandkids turned up! 8)

Looking forward to seeing progress on this, it's something I mean to have a go at. Some that I've seen can be quite impressive.

DW have you got a bandsaw?

monkeybiter":186z68jm said:
Looking forward to seeing progress on this, it's something I mean to have a go at. Some that I've seen can be quite impressive.

DW have you got a bandsaw?

Yes I purchased a large Axminster one last year. ( the 450)

Well, it's been a disaster! It seems that the temperature was to cold when I glued up, both boxes fell apart when I removed the clamps after 2 days :cry:

Maybe the wood wasn't dry enough? Worth another try though, bandsawn boxes look great fun. DW will you be having a go, seeing as you're the local box expert [including the new beige box on the computer desk ;)]?

Got new glue today and re-glued the parts. Used elastic bands instead of those big clamps I used last time; looks better on the dining table! :twisted:

IMG00379-20120221-2253.jpg

IMG00380-20120222-2334.jpg

This evening the two boxes are glued up and ready for sanding. When I see the pics of items that you guys have have made I am in awe of your skills, yet I am so excited about these two little boxes made from a rough log!

IMG00381-20120223-2318.jpg

Fiddler":2oqj8kos said:
When I see the pics of items that you guys have have made I am in awe of your skills

You and me both! You've just got to keep telling yourself that they had to learn too.

Looking forward to seeing your boxes when done.

Please dont take any offence, but the one with the bark on would make an exotic bird box. The other one looks to be a good design in the making as well. =D>

devonwoody":3lv2fu2r said:
Please dont take any offence, but the one with the bark on would make an exotic bird box. The other one looks to be a good design in the making as well. =D>

No offense taken! My missus has already suggested I make a bird box and fix it to the tree that the branch came from. The bark of that box is like paper and starting to peel off, I may remove it and sand down the box with an oil finish.

Started sanding down the larger of my two boxes this afternoon. I started on my brand new bench top belt sander which made light work of the first stage, then switched to hand sanding with course paper. I was beginning to think I was making a mess of things until I got down to extra fine sand paper, the grain started to appear and beautiful markings became clear and focused. I sat out in the sun marveling at this small chunk of Birch that contained such amazing patterns.

Here's a few pics that really don't do justice to the wood

IMG00382-20120225-1531.jpg

IMG00383-20120225-1532.jpg

IMG00384-20120225-1533.jpg

Fiddler":295btp19 said:
This evening the two boxes are glued up and ready for sanding. When I see the pics of items that you guys have have made I am in awe of your skills, yet I am so excited about these two little boxes made from a rough log!

I know what you mean Fiddler, I look around the forum at others work and feel very, very humble. But the pride I had at finishing a couple of quite basic bandsaw boxes was immense. I only hope I can one day have half the talent of some of the guys on this forum.
Your boxes are looking good btw. I do love to see them made from a solid piece of log. Has so much more charm. 8)

Hi Fiddler, looking good.

I think it is always a good idea to take the bark off Birch, a shame to loose the rustic look maybe, but that bark is completely waterproof and will keep moisture in very effectively. Could be why your first glue up came unstuck?

Glued a little knob on the front of the small box drawer, a final fine sanding and a first coat of oil. I was going to use Danish oil but I can't find my tin anywhere, I did find a tin of Teak oil left over from the garden furniture so I used that instead.

IMG00387-20120227-1837.jpg

Going to cut some more branches of the tree then?

Interesting project, I liked the colour better myself without the teak oil.

Perhaps you could try shellac plain and wax on another piece?

I've saved a few branches that were destined for the log burner, hopefully to make more boxes.

I found my tin of Danish Oil so I'll give that a try on the larger box. If my understanding is right, clear Danish oil will keep the natural colour whilst adding a bit of lustre and protection.

Wow, much nicer than I anticipated [no offence] they are attractive little boxes. Well worth the making. Will there be more?

Latest posts

Back