My first attempts at turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srs

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I’ve done most forms of woodworking up until now but the one route I have had never had a chance to go down before was turning mainly due to limited time and the cost of buying the lathe and tools only to find out that you hate it had always put me off. So with Christmas fast approaching I thought it was time to buy myself a little present for being so good through the year :lol: so I booked myself on a turning course down at West Dean Collage. And below are the results.

Ashhandles.jpg

A pair of ash turning tool handles

lidpots.jpg

A pair of lidded pots in lime

Tulipbowl.jpg

A bowl in tulip wood

Well for my first attempts at wood turning I don’t think I did too bad, Oh well I guess in the new year I shall have to treat myself to a lathe now.

srs":1ag7267v said:
...snip.. Oh well I guess in the new year I shall have to treat myself to a lathe now.

Well done, someone else to swell the Turning Forum ranks; =D>

Purchase a Lathe you say :?: HE He He...and then there are the tools... sharpening system/jigs...the chuck system... the sanding system... dust protection/extraction...

A whole new set of decisions to make... BUT.... A whole future of new experiences and enjoyment. If you get as much enjoyment and find turning as rewarding an aspect of modifying trees into objects of practicality and beauty as I do then you are in for an enjoyable 2006.

Keep the examples of your work and tool decisions coming so that we may share the experience with you.

It's a pleasure to see examples of turning outside the Turning Section for a change :p . I love to see turned wood, especially when it's as good as this.

Gill

Very nice - for "first attempts" they look very well made and well-finished.

Keep up the good work (you seem to have a flair for it,so don't let it go to waste :D )

Andrew (Who's in the middle of repainting the workshop floor and can't get to the lathe at the moment.. :cry: )

superb first attempts!

I'd love to do a turning course. Might have to save up in the new year.

Latest posts

Back