My experience with this forum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leethesign

Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure where on the boards to put this, so I've bunged it here.......

I've only recently joined the forum as I've decided that I needed a winter hobby, 'cause I can't get to my boat and I've always liked
messing around with bits of wood.

This last week I needed some advice with by knackered band saw, and I was overwhelmed at the help and advice I was offered, especially
by those offering me bits to fix it for nothing, more especially James who kindly offered me a complete saw, so I'll have more bits if I need 'em.
I am, as I said, overwhelmed and extremely grateful to you all, and I realise what a great lot you are on this forum.

I've loads to learn and I feel I wouldn't be afraid to ask a question.

So thanks a million everyone - I really appreciate it.

Now, on to the next subject, if I may........ I've always been one to buy the best quality stuff I can afford, as I believe in the old adage "buy cheap, buy twice",
and for many years I stood by this, practicing what I preach. BUT........ earlier this year, I returned from living abroad, having lost virtually everything but my shirt
in the property slump in Spain and, as I wanted to do some DIY I went out to buy some tools. Our local big general store has always been known to offer decent gear at good prices, so off I toddled to get some toys. Amongst the odds and sods we always need, I had to have some G-cramps - the single handed type that I prefer - and I saw some made by a company called "Rolson". They also had some other bits - screwdriver sets, drill bits and that sort of thing so I bought a set of screwdrivers, some G-cramps and a rechargeable torch. (We live in the country with no street lighting). Within two weeks, half of the screwdrivers were thrown in the bin - the handles turned but the blades didn't. Oh well, put that down to experience. Next when we used the rechargeable lamp, it performed for only about 12-15 mins before the charge ran out. Today put the tin lid on it....... I was using the G Cramps to hold some wood to the bench whilst I attacked it with my circular saw and the slight vibration from the saw completely dislodged the cramps, the piece of wood came away from the bench and the saw dropped right down in front of me. The only lucky thing was the fact I was wearing a thick sweater. This caught the blade, jammed the saw and stopped it carving it's way into my belly! Had I not been wearing this because it was very parky in the workshop today, I would have suffered an extremely serious accident. Imagine the damage a 9" circular saw blade spinning at full speed would do to an unprotected belly. It doesn't bear thinking about. My wife, bless 'er, heard the shouting and swearing and came to see what was wrong. She nearly had a fit when she saw (no pun intended) what had occurred and went to fetch the camera. I have attached the pic she took. Here's the lesson, NEVER RELY ON CHEAP TOOLS. I certainly shan't be buying anything else with the dreaded "Rolson" name on. I've a good mind the sue them for the cost of my favourite old sweater.

Anyway, there's my penn'orth..... and here's my pic

Along with Amtech that are commonplace at tool stalls attending agricultural shows and the like.

Ive found most Silverline tools none too clever.

Clamps and cramps, are in many instances not consider very highly for the need to buy the very best quality possible. IMO they are one of the trickiest items to buy right. A lot of the modern cramps don't have the faces of the cramps aligned to each other when under tension and cause the work to bow. Cheap clamps do the same by the connecting rod also bending under the lightest of loads. Again, IMO

I don't think you can go wrong with Bessey clamps and cramps, or modern Irwin F Clamps.
For sash clamps you cannot beat the old, Record stuff, you can see how highly valued they are with the prices they command in various auction WEB sites. There are others which I'm sure are equally good, but once I latched onto these brands I've not deviate to find out to often, it's normally been just an extreme disappointment and generated the need to buy again!

leethesign,

Sorry to hear of your Spanish misfortunes.

I have a motley collection of 19 old record sash clamps from 3ft to 5ft. Some quick clamps by Irwin which were wrongly priced in Homebase and so £10 cheaper than normal. I have 12 Bessey clamps also from 600mm to 900mm. And some times I still need more.

I got fed up of paying huge sums of hard earned money for Bessey. They are good but in my eyes not that good and are now overpriced. I found, with considerable cynicism, several web site references to shop made clamps styled after the old record ones but made of wood. I made 4 and was totally impressed. Slightly less overall pressure than the Bessey clamps but good enough for panels and laminations. Cost just about zero as I had the wood in the offcuts pile.

Have a Google and see what you find.

Some of the branded expensive stuff is rubbish too. It's difficult to know.
Just keep on buying tools and the ones which survive will stay in your tool box as the others get binned. Natural selection.

Aldi sometimes have a pack for about £18, four large ones, two medium ones and two small ones. I've got two sets and they've been faultless. In fact they're holding two oak corbels together as I type.

My findings from many years and some wasted money.

Bessey clamps are good but way overpriced (they must have massive profit margins). I wouldn't buy from them as I don't like feeding greedy companies.
Amtech and Rolson are by-and-large rubbish.
More or less anything by the original Record Made in England Company is great (as distinct from Irwin-Record stuff which is very variable).
Aldi and Lidl sell some decent stuff from time to time and their guarantees are good.
Bosch Professional (blue) gear is so very much better than their green stuff that there is really no comparison. It's like they're different makes.
Old (50 years+) saws, planes and chisels are usually excellent - but not always. They also made some rubbish then and you can spend and awful lot of time refurbishing the good stuff.

Another vote for Bessey clamps. I bought mine at one of the shows and the price was very fair I thought.

Some years ago now I bought a dozen, 12" G clamps. They were made in China, and were obviously not going to last very long. But at £2.50 each what could I lose? That was about 20 years ago, from a store called Trago Mills, in Cornwall. I still have the clamps in good order, bar one which has lost the pressure 'cap', from the end of the thread. But then that also happened with a Record cramp I have! The only thing I don't like about them is the weight! But then I am careful not to drop them on my toes! :D

RobinBHM":251a82a4 said:
Along with Amtech that are commonplace at tool stalls attending agricultural shows and the like.

You can add Toolzone and a lot of the cheap Draper stuff to that list too, though some of their 'expert' range is ok

pcb1962":230coina said:
RobinBHM":230coina said:

You can add Toolzone and a lot of the cheap Draper stuff to that list too, though some of their 'expert' range is ok

Their 6kg SDS+ (sold by Wickes) is surprisingly good.

For F clamps we mostly use Bessey, but we occasionally reluctantly use some Axminster ones we have. Sometimes if we leave stuff clamped up over night the next morning the Axy clamps have "relaxed" and fallen off.

Chris

Latest posts

Back