my dovetail problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Derek,

If it's a really rubbish chisel, which they are most certainly not, maybe it could be an "issue" as you put it.

Putting things into perspective, if say the back is 5 thou out of flat over its length, how significant is that in relationship to,

(i) the accuracy and positioning of the jig?
(ii) the skill of the user?
(iii) the limitations of the Mk 1 eyeball, in particular (and no disrespect to you DW) a pensioners Mk 1 eyeball ?

If one want to split hairs, one can undoubtedly give it a good go with said chisel and 'perfect' flattened back. It might make the difference between success and failure, but I doubt it'll make a significant difference to the average woodbutcher like most of us mere mortals.

So DW, I'll reiterate what I said and you'll save 4.75 days of work!

cheers

Ike :)

Devonwoody,

I have the exact same chisels, and did a quick sharpen on the Tormek - didn't touch the backs - and they are razor sharp. I can cut curly shavings off end grain.

I think you'll find them absolutely fine without doing stuff on the back.

Adam

sorry to hog this thread, but I am starting to think about buying a set of chisels. Are these the best for a beginer? I have heard of Marples chisles, are these good also?

What kit do I need to buy to keep them sharp (on a budget)

PS: what make are woody's chisels?

WiZeR":ljiptbkg said:
sorry to hog this thread, but I am starting to think about buying a set of chisels. Are these the best for a beginer? I have heard of Marples chisles, are these good also?

What kit do I need to buy to keep them sharp (on a budget)

PS: what make are woody's chisels?

Kerchen chisels.

Your welcome on my threads anytime.

Back