My dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful countryside over there. We vacationed in Pendine a few years ago. If I had to live somewhere else, it would be Tenby or Manobrier or somewhere like that.

Sorry, off topic! 🥴

South Pembrokeshire is beautiful & has the weather too especially Tenby

https://www.axminstertools.com/bosc...utm_content=1792&tagrid=49436877&glCountry=GB
This one mate ? Sounds fantastic. I did have a look at it . Does it have a depth stop ?

Sorry for the late reply, yes that is indeed the one. It does have a depth stop feature, and I have used it for lap joints myself, and can attest that it has almost no "flex" in that either; of the several other mitre saws I've used, when using the depth feature, (a turn screw to set the blade height against a metal plate), that usually said metal plate the screw rests on is not rigid enough and therefore flexes when pushing down for the cut, thus cutting a shade too deep without extreme care being taken and giving sloppy lap joint results. The Bosch however doesn't suffer from this.

If you do buy it I would also recommend you pick up a digital box angle finder, one of those magnetic small things to attach to a blade or base or whatever to "tweak" the 90 and 45 deg stops from the factory (a screw with a locking nut) as mine at least was off. Mine is the "GemRed" version I've had it for years, and has been very useful for all sorts of jobs when even a small torpedo level is just too big, or it absolutely has to be X degrees - invaluable for table saw blade setup.

The process is easy to tweak the bosch and I can walk you through it if you need advise.

Thanks Martin, what's the flip saw like ? I was looking at them but was worried they might be a bit of a gimmick, bit of a jack of all trades ??

A friend has a flip saw, an older dewalt, and while useful it has lots of flaws, such as huge gaps around the blade so cutting anything thinner than about an inch will fall through. Blade angle setup is a PITA and the fence is woeful - these things are designed for ripping and trimming timbers for structural framing and any work requiring anything more accurate than "that'll do" will just have you tearing your hair out.

Sorry for the late reply, yes that is indeed the one. It does have a depth stop feature, and I have used it for lap joints myself, and can attest that it has almost no "flex" in that either; of the several other mitre saws I've used, when using the depth feature, (a turn screw to set the blade height against a metal plate), that usually said metal plate the screw rests on is not rigid enough and therefore flexes when pushing down for the cut, thus cutting a shade too deep without extreme care being taken and giving sloppy lap joint results. The Bosch however doesn't suffer from this.

If you do buy it I would also recommend you pick up a digital box angle finder, one of those magnetic small things to attach to a blade or base or whatever to "tweak" the 90 and 45 deg stops from the factory (a screw with a locking nut) as mine at least was off. Mine is the "GemRed" version I've had it for years, and has been very useful for all sorts of jobs when even a small torpedo level is just too big, or it absolutely has to be X degrees - invaluable for table saw blade setup.

The process is easy to tweak the bosch and I can walk you through it if you need advise.

Hi thank you sounds like a great saw . I've just emptied the coffers buying a table saw so might be a little while before it pick one up :LOL:

Back