My Competition Box Update

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Well, here goes.....
Here is my competition entry-It's a bandsawn box, cut completely from a single (big) piece of timber. Here are the first pics....
2004_0816box10001.jpg

2004_0816box10002.jpg

2004_0816box10003.jpg

I "found" the timber at our local rubbish tip whilst dropping off some chipboard. It is a hardwood of some description-looks like African mahogany but smells like Zebrano when cut. Any ideas??
I have never attempted cutting curves on timber this deep, using my bandsaw mainly for resawing. I used a narrow 3/8's rip blade. It left a surprisingly good finish-I'll be using this blade a lot more! The tight corners were a bit hair raising and the whole cutting episode was a bit frought. It came out well though. I have begun to remove the waste from the "drawers" with a forstner bit and will be getting stuck in with the smoothing tonight.
I don't really have a plan for this one and am making it up as I go along. So I hope it comes out alright.
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly,
That is a big lump of tree. Could be one of the "mahoganies" but I suspect it is Sapele.

I shall be interested to see what happens next, I have never made a bandsaw box.

Yeah, its a fair weight-pretty dry though, 11%. When I removed the middle of the drawers it has lightened it up a fair bit. Only problem is "sag" of the frame. Gonna have to fit a back or some smart idea to stiffen it a bit.
Chris,
Could be Sapele-it was the smell that struck me though. Sapele smells more "mahogany-like" though doesn't it? This one smells border-line repellent. :x Hopefully it will come up o.k. though. Time will tell!
regards

Hi TX
Well, obviously, I just stole the design off the internet!!! :lol:
No, just joking. I saw a copy of a book called "beautiful boxes", or something like that. It was full of bandsawn boxes. Can't remember who it was by, only had a quick flick through it in a book shop. That's where the idea came from. As to the design-draw lots of wavy lines and see which looked best! Not very scientific but there you go.
regards

Hey Philly,

Just a bit of a tip that I got from one of the guys on WoodCentral who makes some beautiful bandsaw boxes. If you take the drawer and cut the front and the back off you can bandsaw the inside to the shape you want and then glue the front and back bits back on again. You should never notice that they've been taken off.

SimonA

Very nice box Philly and original too!
How are you going to open out the drawers?

No probs Philly.......your supposed to do the same kinda thing with the back of the box too......but its a bit late for the hot tip :wink:

If you want I'll send you some pics of this guys boxes.

SimonA

Back