My cheapo dovetail chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
For some time I have been thinking of buying some specific dovetail chisels but each time I see the price I tend to shy off - Being a tight Norfolk boy :lol:

Anyway had a couple of hours spare this afternoon so butchered a couple of old Marples firmers on the grinder and I have got to say I am actually very pleased with the results.

I managed to get them ground down to nothing at the edge and the 6mm wide chisel to a point along top. It took some time but after finishing the blades re-handles them.

IMG_0298.jpg

Excuse my dirty fingers :lol: :lol:

Now having saved the money I was going to spend on some more chisels what should I buy instead?? :roll:

I buy and use Ashley Isles chisels and they are fantastic the side bevels come down almost to a point the blades are easy to get razor sharp and hold the edge for ages, even the hardest of timbers. I also have their dovetail chisels the basic round topped ones are good but their fishtail skewed pair are fantastic. Not the cheapest around but I think they are the best.
After using them my old marples ones fell clumsy and bulky.

Nicely done. Although... let us know how you find all those sharp edges along the sides/back in use. I only mention it because I've always been struck by a tip in an old Woodworker to grind side bevels on just the last inch or so of a straight-sided firmer rather than buy proper bevel-edged chisels, on the basis it's more comfortable to hold.

I took the sharpness of the sides of the blade with a diamond stone, lightly rounding them and they seem to be fine.

Dodge":2r2d4lya said:
Now having saved the money I was going to spend on some more chisels what should I buy instead?? :roll:

Some firmer chisels?

Yes Karl, They were originally firmers (Square edged) not bevel edged before I attacked them with the grinder!

Dodge":2nojgumq said:

How about a few of Ebay clunkers to regrind into a pair of skews? A 1/4" pair and a 1/2" pair would make a really good set with those two beauties!

Dodge":2at3z61q said:
Yes Karl, They were originally firmers (Square edged) not bevel edged before I attacked them with the grinder!

Sorry Roger, it was my pathetic attempt at humour. Perhaps I should have added a :lol:

Sorry Karl - Remember I'm a Norfolk Lad! :mrgreen:

Ohand Cheshire Chappie I already have two pairs of skews so going to look in the Axi book later!

I don't know why more people don't get some vintage steel chisels...preferably with no pitting near the cutting edge and adapt them to other excellent uses.

Those are brilliant Dodge...maybe some fishtails?

Jim

Nice job Roger,

I've tried a bit of chisel grinding and it's not as easy as you'd think. How are the backs after taking that much off the top corners?

Surprisingly good Matthew - I started doing these really more to see if it could be done, purely with care and a double ended grinder - taking extreme care not to blue the steel.

When I finished the grinding I lapped the back on the diamond stone and then finished them on lapping film - They have got a tremendous edge I just hope that I havn't ruined the steel but they were only 50p each for the blades.

Rog

Dodge":u8p5f0yv said:
....Excuse my dirty fingers

Swarfega?

Well done Dodge! Did you make the handles as well?

Also, will you say a little of your method of grinding the shoulders?

I went this route a while ago, creating a jig to grind shoulder of chisels to a minimal land ..

Soyouwanttomakeadovetailchisel_html_155bfcea.jpg

The article is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... hisel.html

My favourite set are reground and rehandled Stanley #750s (the original ones) ..

Blades-hollowground1.jpg

Chisels4.jpg

The pics do not show this clearly, but (as Alf recommends) only the first 1" or so is sharp at the sides. This then tapers off.

Also, the sharp edges are very unkind to the fingers when sharpening freehand - I take 1200 grit to them.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back