My brain hurts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete W

Established Member
Reaction score
As a challenge (ha :roll:) I decided to do a frame & panel job on the doors for my wall-mounted tool cabinet. It's only ply and softwood, and I was originally going to glue-&-screw 'em together but then thought it might be good to try something a bit more testing, something that might build my skills a little.

Well, after two hours faffing about in the workshop I never made a cut. Took ages to work out the depth, width and location of the grooves in the frame components, and then ages more to double-check it all. Then I took another age working out a safe and (somewhat) accurate way to do it without a router table.

And then I thought about it some more.

And then it was time to call it a day. Ah, well, there's always tomorrow :).

Hi Pete

What solution did you come up with then? Must be a lot harder without the router table.

Cheers

Tony

Midnight - thanks for the link.

Tony, I'm planning to use a similar technique to the "circular saw guide for plywood" currently being discussed elsewhere. I already have a jig/guide for my circular saw and have constructed one for the router - just clamp it down on a marked line and it runs a 6mm groove at that point.

I have plenty of scrap material the same thickness as the timber I'm using for the doors, so it's easy to get the router+jig to the same level as the workpiece and without the risk of tipping.

The last problem is stopped grooves, which I need in the sides. I don't have any clever solution for that; I'm just planning on careful measuring and plunging.

Pete

Could you clamp stop blocks to the workpiece? I do this all the time for any stopped cuts on any tool

Back