My BIG ( for me ) project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a look along the top profile of the bow section leading along to the bow ( Prow ) and it looked straight. I thought great that's going to be easy , Err no , After cutting a 4" 8' foot long strip and trying it in place resulted in an epic fail , Its far from straight .Used the track saw for the straight cut
View attachment 136643
Back to the drawing board
Cut a section of Ram board ( Stencil card ) and clamped it in place with 2 F clamps , Marked the profile with a felt tip pen, Then cut out with scissors
View attachment 136642

Even this needed lots of further trimming , Why ? Because the first plank / board has to fit under a lip on the inside of the hull , Not sure why the lip is there but though I had better work with the lip rather than cut it off .
Put the track saw away your building a boat!! Everything is curved!

As long as you get some done every day, you get progress. Lots of people think they are going to do wonders at weekends and it is just not enough for major rebuilds. This 16ft clinker was a full rebuild and took 2yrs about 6 days a week. I can only imagine the price of european larch, oak, Iroko Utile and copper nails and roves (4500) today.
You can scarf your gunnels with epoxy and use wider boards to get the sheer towards bow. Your gunnel capping will be the same to get curve..........it wastes some timber of course. West system Epoxy is your friend for structure joints.

Attachments

• IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 0
As long as you get some done every day, you get progress. Lots of people think they are going to do wonders at weekends and it is just not enough for major rebuilds. This 16ft clinker was a full rebuild and took 2yrs about 6 days a week. I can only imagine the price of european larch, oak, Iroko Utile and copper nails and roves (4500) today.
You can scarf your gunnels with epoxy and use wider boards to get the sheer towards bow. Your gunnel capping will be the same to get curve..........it wastes some timber of course. West system Epoxy is your friend for structure joints.
That looks lovely , A labour of love , 👍

Bad weather for the last 4 days , lightning , thunder , heavy rain, windy 25mph , cold

Has anyone seen where summer is hiding ?
Certainly summer down here in Devon!

We had a storm come through 2 nights ago but since the weather has been good.

Back