My BIG ( for me ) project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then today started removing the timber from the side deck ,
1652558537156.png

1652558574848.png

1652558599528.png

I have another scaffold tower you could borrow? Put scaffolding boards between??

It's worth making some steps up and down a ladder becomes very wearing!!

The gent who built the boat had some strange ideas how he built up the side decks !!! ??? :dunno:
Small blocks of wood glued onto thin fibreglass , Under that rubber grip fast tread , under that ply , Water has penetrated under all that and rotted the ply
1652559308517.png

You can see in this image I have peeled the fiberglass back and underneath that is :-
1652559383526.png

You can see the wooden blocks and the non slip rubber mat underneath ?/
1652559491468.png

That's it for today , More tomorrow morning , Apparently it will rain in the afternoon .

Last edited:
I have another scaffold tower you could borrow? Put scaffolding boards between??

It's worth making some steps up and down a ladder becomes very wearing!!
Thanks for the offer , the one I have is a work platform 2 meters long and I can move the part that I stand on up or down , It's also on wheels , Not sure I need a second one.

Used the Milwaukee fuel jigsaw for the first time today ( different job ) , It has a strange way of turning on ,
Two sliding finger pads one on each side half way up the front of the saw , At first I thought it
may be for left and right handed users , but no you need to slide both together then it runs.

Ordered 10 off 8x4 12mm and 10 off 18mm external ply BS636 Class 3

That's £1000 please 😵‍💫 inc £50 delivery , and NO they would not give any discount ☹️

Fun project, but expensive. They do say boats are an expensive hobby :)
The saying is "Standing under a cold shower,tearing up £5 notes"

@Blister
Might be an idea to construct a tent/cover for it. Especially when it comes to wanting glues etc to dry and the weather is inclement.
Usual they're made of baton, or cheap CLS, covered in clear polythene. Basically like a large greenhouse. But it fills a number of roles, and is really a must if using power tools outside.
A blow heater makes working in winter considerably easier and far more comfortable.

Sailing : The fine art of making one's self wet cold and miserable whilst slowly going nowhere at great expense.

But..

There is a lot of satisfaction to be had in what Blister is doing.
Years ago I bought an old 17foot derelict yacht for $450 named Calypso but known far and wide as Collapse-o.
It took nearly two years before she was back in the water but when she was I single handed the South Atlantic, Caribbean and the Pacific in her.
In retrospect it would have been easier to build a new one but a new boat lacks any character for a few years - what I loved about Calypso, renamed Bo Peep was the few scuffs and scars of past adventures, the little idiosyncrasies of her past owners here and there and S. Ballard carved into one of the deck beams. Who he was I have no idea.
So Blister, you are going to need a bit of stickability here because there will be times when you ask yourself as I did just what the heck have I done, progress will be slow and sometimes painful, but one day when you don't expect it you're going to see her in a new light and also see just how far you've come. From that point on its all downhill to launching day.
I wish you every success with your rebuild.

Sailing : The fine art of making one's self wet cold and miserable whilst slowly going nowhere at great expense.

But..

There is a lot of satisfaction to be had in what Blister is doing.
Years ago I bought an old 17foot derelict yacht for $450 named Calypso but known far and wide as Collapse-o.
It took nearly two years before she was back in the water but when she was I single handed the South Atlantic, Caribbean and the Pacific in her.
In retrospect it would have been easier to build a new one but a new boat lacks any character for a few years - what I loved about Calypso, renamed Bo Peep was the few scuffs and scars of past adventures, the little idiosyncrasies of her past owners here and there and S. Ballard carved into one of the deck beams. Who he was I have no idea.
So Blister, you are going to need a bit of stickability here because there will be times when you ask yourself as I did just what the heck have I done, progress will be slow and sometimes painful, but one day when you don't expect it you're going to see her in a new light and also see just how far you've come. From that point on its all downhill to launching day.
I wish you every success with your rebuild.
Sounds an adventure!

Any pictures?!

Back