My BIG ( for me ) project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to see a pic of the overall boat, maybe looking down onto the deck to get the scale of it.

If you can be bothered that is.:)

It has a very heavy green Tarp fitted at the moment , Took mr 3 hours to get it on the boat and in position
I may have a photo I will look and see what I ca find

This is the boat when being delivered , I have plenty of room for it at home , In a commercial yard it would cast between £30 / £40 a week storage :eek:o_O
1652367519312.png

Last edited:
Lucky you've the room - and a kitchen close to hand for those many cups of tea.

I'd an opportunity a couple of years ago to buy for renovation a 71' Schooner. In the end head overtook heart. Just too expensive to pay yard fees, on top of the costs for everything else.
I still regret it, but it certainly would have skinned every penny out of me for at least 5 years.

Lucky you've the room - and a kitchen close to hand for those many cups of tea.

I'd an opportunity a couple of years ago to buy for renovation a 71' Schooner. In the end head overtook heart. Just too expensive to pay yard fees, on top of the costs for everything else.
I still regret it, but it certainly would have skinned every penny out of me for at least 5 years.

:eek:o_O Blimey

It's more than a rub rail it is also part of the structure / strength around the top of the fibreglass hull.

A bilge keel yacht is capable of taking a drying mooring , Not allways good , If the sea conditions are rough they can be subjected to a good hammering riding ofer the waves then hitting the ground
Also bilge keel yachts are slower to sail as they have more under water resistance than a fin keel.
I’ve tended to buy boats that have keel configuration to suit my home mooring and main sailing waters. Our club had about 70% soft mud moorings and 30% hard shingle, but the location was relatively sheltered so there was minimal ‘pounding’ of bilge keels as they settled. Our triple keel Hunter 19 was ok on both but I opted for soft deep mud. More recently I had a Seal 22 (1978) with a vertically lifting ballast keel. Because of the slight protrusion of the keel on the bottom, this one was definitely better on the same mud mooring. Overall, while lacking comfort and cabin space (just a big cuddy really) the smaller Hunter was as fast in most conditions and better in a real blow’ due in part to its higher 55% ballast ratio.

Well it was probably never going to come off, or chances are i could afford the boat, the yard space, but the fit out would have cost so much i'd be eating tins of beans for years :LOL:
But it was something I'd then hoped to get mostly done, then sell for a profit. If not mostly, then at least back to seaworthy, easy jobs done,
Actually Ideally for me a 22' canal boat would be the thing. Cheap to moor, cheap to run.

But enough of that, how are you coming along ?
Have you considered doing this with a you tube channel as that not only can supply a bit of income towards your costs, but folk love boats and you could also attract some volunteer help.

Well it was probably never going to come off, or chances are i could afford the boat, the yard space, but the fit out would have cost so much i'd be eating tins of beans for years :LOL:
But it was something I'd then hoped to get mostly done, then sell for a profit. If not mostly, then at least back to seaworthy, easy jobs done,
Actually Ideally for me a 22' canal boat would be the thing. Cheap to moor, cheap to run.

Have you considered doing this with a you tube channel as that not only can supply a bit of income towards your costs, but folk love boats and you could also attract some volunteer help.
How about a wilderness canal boat? trailerable too?

https://www.wildernessboats.co.uk/

A canal boat is not a bad plan - even I can do fitting out and my woodworking skills are limited indeed. We had ours on blocks at a local farmyard for a couple of years while I did it up.
So long as the hull is ok you’re fine - surprising how many people don’t get steel thickness checked and only discover how little there is left when they jet wash the hull to re-black it…or start to sink!

About 10 years ago I had a 52ft canal boat , Purchased from Billing Aquadrome, One previous owner who called the boat " Forbiden planet " yes well err Humm strange name , Got fed up with it in the end for 2 reasons , 1 it was a haven for spiders , 2 , going up and down the same part of the grand union canal

Not sure how to do a Youtube channel , not sure I want a channel either ?

1652342191196.png

1652342244120.png

Stripped this out on Tuesday so now back to the hull inside and outside from the bow to the rear of the wheelhouse, Also managed to remove all the old fixing screws .

More today as the sun is shining , Hopefully from the wheelhouse back to the stern

You putting an inner rail and outer and capping on top?

Plenty of sealant.

I found Ebt to be a cheaper alternative to 3M 5200

You putting an inner rail and outer and capping on top?

Plenty of sealant.

I found Ebt to be a cheaper alternative to 3M 5200
I will be laminating 4 12mm boards on each side then a cap on top , Fingers crossed , It's easy saying what you intend doing , I then need to actually do it :)
Ebt ??? what is this ???

Not sure how to do a Youtube channel , not sure I want a channel either ?
Have you been watching Tally Ho ?.
The YT thing is good because not only can it provide a bit of an income, but you can blatantly ask people for donations. People might be either doing or look to be doing up a boat and are looking for tips or instruction, even if you have zero experience and are playing it by ear. They feel the same and are attracted to watching someone else take the plunge so to speak.

Patreon is the site where people can gift you donations via a subscription service(I think, im not 100% sure how this works), which you can use to buy materials or hire tools you need. So many project builders try to set this stuff up as it makes the project more likely to be completed.

Tally Ho. English chap in the US is rebuilding a 110 year old Gaff Cutter./ He gets donations and volunteers helping with the build. I guess he's spent 10's of thousands on this, maybe a lot more.
https://www.youtube.com/c/SampsonBoatCo/videos

I will be laminating 4 12mm boards on each side then a cap on top , Fingers crossed , It's easy saying what you intend doing , I then need to actually do it :)
Ebt ??? what is this ???
Polymer glue sealant much like 5200 or sika 512?

Have you been watching Tally Ho ?.
The YT thing is good because not only can it provide a bit of an income, but you can blatantly ask people for donations. People might be either doing or look to be doing up a boat and are looking for tips or instruction, even if you have zero experience and are playing it by ear. They feel the same and are attracted to watching someone else take the plunge so to speak.

Patreon is the site where people can gift you donations via a subscription service(I think, im not 100% sure how this works), which you can use to buy materials or hire tools you need. So many project builders try to set this stuff up as it makes the project more likely to be completed.

Tally Ho. English chap in the US is rebuilding a 110 year old Gaff Cutter./ He gets donations and volunteers helping with the build. I guess he's spent 10's of thousands on this, maybe a lot more.
https://www.youtube.com/c/SampsonBoatCo/videos
Yes I did view some of these YT videos , Not for me to do this

Latest posts

Back