My BIG ( for me ) project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I asked for some advice on a jigsaw purchase ( thanks for the advice ) saw now here,
Thought some may like to see what the project is , I'm working on it now as the very rare sun is shining
Will take some images and upload later tonight , Also any advice on this project will be most welcome , :) 👍

Time to let you know what the project is ,
It's a boat restoration , Colvic Watson 28ft 6" long , Basicaly a pile of cr-p , Yes I must be mad taking this on
Being a old retired codger I thought why not have a go , Can't make it any worse ( Can I ? )
Nearly everything that is wood is rotten , both side gunwale's inner and outer Rotten , You can hold the wood and its like having a shredded wheat in your hand , squeeze it and it crumbles away .

Some early stage photos , Yes it is as bad as it looks :eek::oops:

FC670A4C-CB44-4632-AD96-13F66F46F066 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150639903@N08/, on Flickr
1D13C05C-0730-439E-8DBE-49EF989F0B6E by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150639903@N08/, on Flickr
FA3AEAF5-9FAC-48DC-9258-03BEC6B5CB09 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150639903@N08/, on Flickr

The hull is GRP so that's good and it is fine condition , Either wants a polish or a paint.

Brilliant project.

It's only rub rail so easily replaced!

I was almost tempted by a hunter 701 but fin keel though so not do good mooring wise.

I know nothing about boats apart from they usually float on water but sometimes try to convert themselves into submarines lol 😂 but good look with your project and hats 🧢 off to you for taking it on- I personally love a challenge but yours is definitely out of my comfort zone.

Wood and salt water just do not mix, you end up with constant maintenance and even GRP has it's issues so good luck and it could be a great exercise in woodworking, especially if doing it traditional with hand tools.

That will keep you out if trouble for a while. I believe it’s Wood and salt water perfect mix, wood and fresh water is where it gets all nasty.

Wood and salt water just do not mix, you end up with constant maintenance and even GRP has it's issues so good luck and it could be a great exercise in woodworking, especially if doing it traditional with hand tools.

Yes hand tools , A 18 volt jigsaw hand operated ,
18 volt drill driver again hand operated and a tape measure ;)

Last edited:
Brilliant project.

It's only rub rail so easily replaced!

I was almost tempted by a hunter 701 but fin keel though so not do good mooring wise.

It's more than a rub rail it is also part of the structure / strength around the top of the fibreglass hull.

A bilge keel yacht is capable of taking a drying mooring , Not allways good , If the sea conditions are rough they can be subjected to a good hammering riding ofer the waves then hitting the ground
Also bilge keel yachts are slower to sail as they have more under water resistance than a fin keel.

Nice project. The hull looks heavily built, that’ll mean it dates from the 1970’s or thereabouts. I had to replace a few bits of wood on a Hunter 19 (triple keel) I used to have, but luckily most of what little woodwork there was on her was still sound.

It's more than a rub rail it is also part of the structure / strength around the top of the fibreglass hull.

A bilge keel yacht is capable of taking a drying mooring , Not allways good , If the sea conditions are rough they can be subjected to a good hammering riding ofer the waves then hitting the ground
Also bilge keel yachts are slower to sail as they have more under water resistance than a fin keel.
I agree but easily got to and replaced.

What are you using sapele? Iriko? Or softwood? Larch is durable.

Today's progress, Managed to remove the pulpit rail from the bow using a 2 rope method

Tie a rope onto the right hand side of the rail , Then tie that to the handrail on the cabin roof , Leave enough slack so it can be lifted over the side , Then rope 2 tie that to the left side of the rail , Lift that side and walk it round the bow , Lower that side to the ground , followed but the right side , If you get what I am saying

45513CE3-5341-4185-B2CE-CAAF3E6454A4 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150639903@N08/, on Flickr

Rail now under the stern of the boat
7909708F-3BFF-4BBD-895F-D6BB3CBFC6EA by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150639903@N08/, on Flickr

I will be using EN636 Class 3 external ply for the job , Hence the new Jigsaw , I will make 8 foot long templates out of this , It's suppose to be a floor protector , It's nice and stiff so will be ideal for the job , Fingers crossed the right side templates should be good for the left side as long as the hull is the same profile
🤞
ED90E29A-700C-4E7C-A51A-3780E2CFBF26 by Allen Wells, on Flickr

Back