My best to date???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudormaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Since I started turning I think that this is the best piece that I have done, but what do you think (be honest).
Hollowformwithbaseandfinial.jpg

13" x 4.5" Mahogany base and finial and horse chestnut bowl hollowed to about 3/16.
Still nowhere near to the standard of most of the other forum members though.
Terry

tudormaker":2rlingtt said:
still nowhere near to the standard of most of the other forum members though.
Terry

Terry,

I wouldn't agree with that statement.

Good work- keep it up.

A lovely piece, Terry. I think the combination of timbers look great together. Perhaps the base might have been a wee bit wider for stability?

Ian

Hey , thats very good I like it good tool work and finishing.
The one thing that I maybe might change is the finial
To me it seems a little "busy" but that is just me .
Excellent piece, well done,

tudormaker":1uhggkm9 said:
Since I started turning I think that this is the best piece that I have done, but what do you think (be honest).
Terry

Not for me - if twisted ribbon was turned then it wins hand's down, I like the wand (great decoration and form) and, more relevant to this piece, turkish delight.

The relevance is in proportions. The mahogany overpowers the piece, and for me it's scale adds to this such that the delicate chestnut gets overwhelmed. If the base and finial were chestut, and the orb mahogany, it would work better - but a simpler solution would be to make the mahogany bits significantly more delicate.

Whilst being honest I don't get the form of the base either.

There's clearly a piece in there somewhere, and the chestnut looks stunning - so much so that I would definitely try and develop it if it were me.

I have got into trouble for interpreting 'be honest' at face value before, and there's no technical basis for my assesment, I can only hope that this is what you are looking for.

'Turkish delight' just looks so much more balanced/ in proportion.

jumps":2nyj8gci said:
tudormaker":2nyj8gci said:
Terry

I have got into trouble for interpreting 'be honest' at face value before, and there's no technical basis for my assessment, I can only hope that this is what you are looking for.

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for, many "honest opinions", without those we can't improve. By the way "Twisted ribbon was turned"

Terry

Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for, many "honest opinions", without those we can't improve. By the way "Twisted ribbon was turned"

Terry[/quote]

:shock: How :?: do tell. pleasepleaseplease

nev":2tj0ts1q said:

Terry

:shock: How :?: do tell. pleasepleaseplease[/quote]

even better - start a new thread on it! It's a facinating piece in many ways.

I think the concept is just fine, but would have preferred less mass to the finial and base. It draws the eye away from the central body. Could benefit by having the finial etc being darker to in crease the contrast.

Otherwise a damn fine piece

Back