My Bench Disc Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikej460

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
This looked like an ideal project whilst waiting to start building the new shop. I have a spare motor, I looked at loads of YouTube videos of DIY Disc Sanders, decided a design, set to work and then my problems began, some of which have already appeared in other threads, so bear with...

I have an old motor I bought at a garage sale years ago. I hand painted it as I didn't relish the idea of taking it apart and spray painting it so the finish is, shall we say, 'functional'

IMG_20210118_144655.jpg

I cut a disc out of scrap 18mm birch ply

20210201_173530.jpg

The next step was to decide how I would attach a plywood disc to the motor as it had no key or thread. I tried making a push-fit flange but it wouldn't stay on and I didn't want to glue it to the motor shaft:

20210207_122350.jpg

So after posting a plea for help, @Phill05 kindly offered to make me a metal flange and after exchanging dimensions and some spectacular CAD designs he sent me this:

Pretty impressive eh? I was over the moon so I then fixed the flange to my disc and using a chisel and an old belt off my belt sander I turned it from a wobbly thing to this:

The rumbling is due to the motor being clamped only one side, the music at the end is a nice tune on my radio. The next step will be to build the base, shroud and dust port so more to follow.

Last edited:
Not sure it the attached may help. I did a similar job, 20 years or so ago.

I used a motor out of a petrol pump, guessing if it was fireproof then it must be dustproof. I made a pattern then cast and turned a mount for the spindle, cut a 5mm piece of duralium [ali-copper alloy] and bolted onto the mount.
Next step weld a 4 bits of angle up into to U channels to mount the motor onto with some anti-vibration material.
25 square tube was used for brazing a couple of frameworks that bolted to the channel and supported a table.
Birch ply table laminated with an odd strip of aluminium channel in it for running a mitre slide etc.
I made two slides up although find that I only use one.
NVR switch courtesy of Axminster Tool Centre.
Extraction port originally on front capped off as it would suck the abrasive of the disc and was not very efficient.
The disc takes 350mm diameter self adhesive discs, which are now not a common size. I used to get them from K&M.
P1040711-1600.jpgP1040712-1600.jpgP1040713-1600.jpgP1040714-1600.jpgP1040715-1600.jpg
Originally mounted on a heavy steel framework from an old school overhead projector, but now on a cabinet base, M&T beech framework, beech blockboard and birch plywood panels & shelving on 4 braked cat castors.P1040710-1600.jpg

Colin

Back