My bandsaw squeaks, do you think this is the problem?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Axminster do a range of bearings suitable for bandsaws. You'll need to remove and measure the existing bearing and of course there's still the postage cost (under £50).

Link

well it should certainly spin so if you can get it off and post the numbers on it perhaps something like 608,629,6101 or the sizes in mm I'm sure someone will sort you out I have stocks in all the common sizes that would go in a jiffy bag

Yes the bearing should spin. It should be cleaned and maintained regularly so that it doesn't seize.
There are details of how to maintain your bandsaw (and so avoiding having to replace parts prematurely) on Volume 4 of The Complete Bandsaw.
S

You could try cleaning it to see if it can be freed up.
Remove it and then give it a spray with WD40 and give it a scrub with an old toothbrush and it might be enough to get it spinning again.

Ive used Simply Bearings a couple of times for various bearings, postage is good too, at only £1.50 8)

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/

As said, just get the number off of your bearing, or if not, (or as a double check) measure the sizes and put them in the website.
If yours is a metal shielded type, make sure you get a shielded one again (usually noted by a Z or ZZ on the end)

The squeaking could be due to the guides too. Mine used to squeak a fair bit when I had steel ones but swapped them for lignum vitae

If you can't read the standard bearing numbers off the shields or edge of the outer, then measure the diameter, width and bore as precisely as you can (almost certainly metric but could be inch) and I'll look up the correct number for you. Then you can get it much more cheaply from a bearing supplier.

Bob

I just checked out the bearings. The top one spins great, if you give it a spin it spins really well. The bottom one does spin, just not as amazingly as the top one. Could the squeaking still be because of it?

I'm getting some of these lignum vitae from someone on here (Jim I think?) so I'll see if that helps. If not, I'll get the number or size of this bearing, if you still think that might be it? Even though it can spin?

Thanks everyone, you are all so nice and helpful!

It needs to spin when loaded by the cutting forces.
If it spins with a 'whizzing' noise then it is free but totally devoid of lubrication and won't last much longer.
Oil will help but soon get thrown out and need replacing. New ones will have grease in them and if you get the -2RS variant with rubber seals, should stay in for good while.
If it spins silently and soon comes to a gentle stop, then it is in good condition and well lubricated.

hth

Bob

While it does sound like you should do something about that bearing, this article also describes another source of squealing with a bandsaw:

http://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/squeal.html

(I've noticed a similar thing at times myself, generally when resawing fairly large - for my saw - boards.)

One way to check is to make small changed to the blade tension. If the squeal changes in note, then it is likely to be the effect that Jake refers to. If it stays constant then it is not blade related and could well be bearings/guides.

Bob

Thanks! Was there someone here who said if I post the sizes, you have some you can sell me? I wonder if you can do it cheaper than those Ebay link. I'd like to replace both just so I know they're both new, I'm not sure the other one is good enough, it spins but only a very very short time. The one I measured is 6700 2RS as Bob said. And I only know because Bob says so!

It was me who said about posting sizes and I could look up the numbers. But do not supply bearings.
You won't get them much cheaper than eBay/Bearing Boys/Arceurotrade/simply bearings.

Bob

If it helps, the numbers are usually on the edge rim. Sometimes they don't put the whole sequence on, and you may need a magnifying glass (if you're my age!). I'm sure Bob's right though, both about the bearing type and a cheap source.

You used to be aboe to get them over the counter at branches of SKF Co., but it's years since I visited the Bristol branch and I'm not sure if it's still there. Try "bearing suppliers" in your local yellow pages (or the internet equivalent). The obvious thing is to take the old one with you. In my limited experience if you go at a quiet time in the week (say mid-morning on Thursday) they'll be helpful. I wouldn't go and ask at 0900 on Monday, even when it's not a bank holiday!

Cheers,

E.

Back