My Attempt at a review of the new Stanley 60.5 Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are truly a rookie at hand planes, I would like to offer one piece of advice regarding this plane. The cap on top of the iron will bend fairly easily if the wheel is tightened too much. The instructions do not offer much direction as to how to judge the correct tightness.

This was my first plane and I over tightened it. That caused the cap to bend and the cap would no longer stay in place when the plane was being used. It would creep toward the back of the plane.

Thank you for the advice RB61, and thank you for the links Dangermouse. I am a complete rookie at carpentry. I have been lurking about the forum for a few weeks now, excellent forum, full of very interesting write-ups, tips and the likes.
I used to build motorcycles(Streetfighters) and build one-off alloy parts for motorcycles. I gave that up a year or so ago, and I'm now gathering up a few hand tools for general woodworking. My first project is a bench, I will start the build around the middle of next month. I have been buying a few Stanley saws, Tenon, coping saws etc. Plus a new circular saw(Bosch). A set square and adjustable bevel(Bahco)
I hope to to be buying a new drill, Router and a few other bits and pieces that I'd need around the same time as I'll be buying the timber for the bench. The main things that I'm interested in building are display boxes for fishing Flies. My brother makes the flies and I'd like to make him a few boxes before christmas. Any links/recommendations would be gratefully received.

Dangermouse":1vkx6ahz said:
My reviews are here and I absolutely recommend all the premium range of bench planes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRhW8D_AQ2o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF5Q9ZcEdzY
and here on the forum
stanley-sw-premium-no4-t67709.html?hilit= stanley plane
stanley-62-sweetheart-la-jack-plane-t67083.html?hilit= stanley plane
I've only tried the SW 4 so far and I have to say it is one of the best planes I've ever used, except for the irritatingly slack adjuster. Nevertheless it laterally adjusts better than the LV la smoother and the mouth adjustment is better than the Clifton 4 (which has the clunky bedrock design which just isn't as good as they say).
It's better than the competition and a third of the price.

PS adjustment slack doesn't matter too much as long as you have positive feedback such that you can feel that you are advancing or retracting the blade, but the SW4 just feels vague and sloppy. Maybe it'll get better with more use and familiarity. It might even be worth getting an engineering shop to make a working copy of the adjuster - it could still be cheaper than the opposition and be top plane.

That looks nice!!
Now why don't Stanley put this kind of effort into making their regular Baileys and not this premium "Sweetheart"...
Seriously, the Baileys need a resurrection. Now that Stanley ARE capable of doing it. Maybe they just need a little push. LN and QS Bedrocks are good, but I would prefer Baileys made to the same standards for their lower price tags.
Have I gone a little off topic? :oops:
Sam

FrankieLee":3fu3oife said:
Great review, thanks! I'm thinking of buying one of these planes. I can get a new one for £52.00 delivered to my door.
You might also want to consider the QS/Juuma block plane. Around the same price, but from what I hear they have a better reputation than the Stanley planes.

Cool to see this bit of my earlier posting history pop up again. I am a bit more experienced as a woodworker now and use this plane more than any other. I also have the No 4 which is a lovely thing as Jacob said. Agree the cap is a little weak but don't bear down on it too hard and it works well. The blade has stood up to many years sharpening and holds an edge very well.

I have to say I prefer having a tool with Stanley written on it rather than Quangshang or whatever!

cutting42":2tb3t7hg said:
....I also have the No 4 which is a lovely thing as Jacob said. ....
I wouldn't quite say "lovely" - it's an ugly object IMHO but it works OK. Clifton and the various american novelty planes are much better looking!

Just had a fiddle with my no4. I've reset the adjuster - basically screwing it in further (and screwing the nut thingy back) and it work a lot better. Less wobbly, positive feedback and no dead points. Still a whole turn of slack but that's tolerable. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.
Next improvement would be to add a lever cap. A bit of adjusting and an old 4 cap will fit and it'll be the best of the 4 bunch!
Might sell on my Clifton - I don't like the bedrock design and it isn't worth the money. You have to try these things.

i also got the plane this year for my birthday also got the stanley bevel up jackplane for my money you cant go wrong altho i am no tool tart i also highly rate my marples planes above the old stanley / bailey planes i see as a good thing that you can get very good useable tools for a good price .the old lads 100 yrs ago didnt have the tools we have today and look what quality them lads could manage i am all for it take paul sellars and his aldi chisels

Back