My angle isnt dangling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
any geometry people around?
using my new table saw, I'm trying to put a champfer along a piece of ply. the ply is 4 ft x 2ft (irrelevant i know) and I want a 40 degree acute angle along the long edge.

I have tried setting the saw to 40 degrees, and I get 50 degrees. I cant set the saw far enough to reach to 50 in the hope I get 40. Ive tried cutting both sides of the blade, no difference.

After a dozen test cuts and quite a lot of old saxon words, I've given up for the night and am drowning my sorrows in the vodka bottle (mmmmmmm, vodka)

Help me out people, please?

If the blade won't go to the angle you want, you could shim the work piece? (strip of something taped to the bottom)

Most saws won't tilt beyond 45º so your 40 is not possible without a work around of some sort, such as Doug's suggestion above.

So it isnt me then?
The fact i set 40 degrees and get 50 degrees is quite disconcerting.

I cant cut it on its edge because the ply falls down the saw slot. unless I can wedge that somehow.

Nice to know I'm not as stupid as i look. :shock: 8)

sunnybob":3d9qh3cv said:
So it isnt me then?

I cant cut it on its edge because the ply falls down the saw slot. unless I can wedge that somehow.

The angle you get is : 90 - (angle on front of saw)

90-40 = 50

Just like if you set it to 5 degrees, you won't get 5, you'll get 85.

yet another learning curve. I'm not buying any more machinery now, my brain cant cope with any more new stuff. :roll: :roll:

transatlantic":2hqy7kqd said:
sunnybob":2hqy7kqd said:
So it isnt me then?

90-40 = 50

Be gentle with me now when I ask is that true, I had absolutely no idea it worked that way :shock:

Garno":llao9fb6 said:
transatlantic":llao9fb6 said:
sunnybob":llao9fb6 said:
So it isnt me then?

90-40 = 50

Be gentle with me now when I ask is that true, I had absolutely no idea it worked that way :shock:

Yes true, the scale on the saw shows number of degrees the saw blade is from vertical, not degrees between the blade and the table if that makes sense.

As Transatlantic says it's easier to picture with say 5 degrees, gets more confusing around 45 degrees.

Interested to hear which old Saxon words lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'm tired and emotional, and therefore this may not work, but turn the workpiece upside down? 50° from the other side should give you what you want? 90-50=40. Probably. If you squint a bit, and look at it sideways, it might work.

I think about sunnybob too much. Apologies for thread hijack but here's a screenshot I saved.
49491606d473404a1629ae97311269c3.jpg

I think you could do it more than justice !

whichever way you do it (says he with his brand new expert hat on) the table saw will not go 50 degrees from the table flat. So 40 is an impossible angle.

So putting the workpiece vertical and saw blade at 40 degrees, you get 40 degrees in relation to the flat panel, which is now in the same plane as the blade.

There, see, simple innit, dont know what all problem was (hammer) (hammer) :shock: :arrow: 8) 8)

Coley, that is neat. it may well become reality before the end of the year. I just need to get this giant Barbie dolls house done :shock:

barbie back.jpg

Attachments

• barbie back.jpg
    barbie back.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 212
Dolls house looks like it's coming on well, but its the animals you bring to life really leave me in awe !

Yeah the boxes are cool but does he know what to do with a can of beer next to the pool I ask you.....

:D

Coley.... efcharisto poly, as the greeks say. =D>

I cant remember if I posted the last two, I dont usually put boxes on here much, but this pair were very hotly contested for ownership thereof.

nelly and ronnie small.jpg

Memzey..., youve only seen me on away matches, :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

60th birthday.jpg

That was taken 9 years, eleven months, and 4 days ago, watch this space for a rerun =D> =D>

Attachments

• nelly and ronnie small.jpg
    nelly and ronnie small.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 60th birthday.jpg
    60th birthday.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 81
LOL! Not sure we can play the return leg this summer bob, Sera and Katty are grumbling about going somewhere else. We’ll have to see I suppose.

Memzey, thats a shame, we have all three dolphins for the whole 5 weeks this year.
Good job I had the shallow end taken out of the pool.

To get back on track...... Today i cut my 40 degree angles by hot gluing a backing piece to the ply and running it through vertically. yippee! Ta muchly to transatlantic.

Memzey...
This is what you get for calling my pool side talents into doubt :shock:

The post above was my 60th birthday.
Last thursday was my 70th....notice the beer can.

IMG_20190603_135840_hdr_kindlephoto-467112207.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190603_135840_hdr_kindlephoto-467112207.jpg
    IMG_20190603_135840_hdr_kindlephoto-467112207.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 55
Back