My 2nd box - a simple little bandsaw box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just finished this little box, sorry for no WIP pictures, I promise next time!

Its from beech and walnut and finished with Tru oil. I need to find some nice nappa leather for the bottom inside, and it almost got canned due to a stupid mistake. I had done all the hard work, slicing a piece of solid beech on the bandsaw, cutting out the eliptical shape on the bandsaw and then drum sanding the inside curves etc. Ihad stuck the smaller thin inner lid piece on and no only had to round the sides. I carefully set up the router table and got stuck in, not realising until too late that the curve in the side would throw the piece further in towards the cutter, between the gap in the fences.... D'oh!!! result was one completely ruined lid.

After I had finished jumping up and down, the missus suggested reducing in height slightly to remove the groove in the body and making a new lid from some walnut. which I did. This time, I machined the lip using my trusty OF1010 and a bearing guided biscuit joint cutter, which as it was, cut the groove about 3mm too deep, so I wrapped the lid in edging tape to make it wider and voilà - a perfect elliptical rebate! I had to fix the piece to the work bench by screwing from under a piece of ply into the lid and clamping the ply.

here are the pictures:

Croatia2011137.jpg

Croatia2011136.jpg

Croatia2011139.jpg

Croatia2011138.jpg

Cheers, Mark

Very nice Mark! - anytime I run into to problems I show it to the wife and she usually has the anwser (maybe she should be the box maker :)
cheers
Ian

Back