must get round tuit !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houtslager

Established Member
Reaction score
Right , its time for me to get into the 21st century, b4 it passes me by :oops:
heh ? you ask, :?
well what I mean is that I have (homer) mumbled and bumbled my way through diverse web page making programs,
](*,) :sign3: I am lost as HOW to make a reasonable website. :twisted: I therefore throw down a challenge to fellow members here - :-k
help a 20th century woodworker understand 21st century tech.!
Send help by email,pm, or shank's pony , all help will be treated with respect and a pint of beer to giver :eek:ccasion5:

sick of crashing pc's - just give me wood any day

My good man, I am still trying to find my way out of the 19th century, or something like that. :D
I will however accept the beer :D :D :D :D :D and sit and discuss this matter with you. Would like to see the answers.
:( :( :( :(

houtslager":6ny70e1v said:
sick of crashing pc's - just give me wood any day

My bit of advice is buy a brand new PC, running XP, invest in a proper firewall, a proper Virus Checker, get yourself broadband and make sure you regularly download all microsoft updates.

Many people soldier on with old PC's, without a firewall or virus checker, don't realise they have viruses and wonder why the PC crashes so often, adn why its been getting slower and slower for the last few months.

If you can't do it yourself, there are many "home" PC Engineers out there that can do it for you.

Armed with a reliable, fast, PC, will make building a website a lot, lot easier.

Adam

Adam , sorry I did not mentionthe fact that last Chrimbo I did just that - top of the range Dell with bells and a few whistles too 8)
Its just that I keep trying to do the front page and other pages for my website - but I keep Cucumbering it up losing it on the pc and lots of other foohpaahs :oops: :oops: :oops:
I need to sit down with some1 - sort out the basics and then have a few beers.

Any takers ?

I've had some small experience and should be able to help you... with the beers :p

As regards the other, I have progeny to take care of it... one of 'em is offering web design/hosting if u r interested...

If you're not trying to do anything too fancy, good old Netscape Composer works really well. That and a simple FTP programme (I use WSFTP-Pro) can make life really easy as it then becomes a 2-step process; 1) Create your page and save it to 'My Documents' or somesuch folder, 2) click and drag it to your ISP. Voila.

If you want to go fancy, I'd recommend a training course, many of which are run by local adult ed places. Personally I avoid the Micro$oft web design products as they are just too hard to understand (at least they don't seem to explain anything easily) and they never seem to do what I want them to. I still use my pre-M$ Visio as it's so much easier than the latest M$ version.......

Houtslager

Hvae you tried searching for templates that you can edit? do a google for 'website templates' and you'll get about 41million hits...

jim

The problem with FrontPage and Netscape composer (apart from they add sooo much unneeded code) you'll find that most of the HTML it creates isn't cross browser compatible.. e.g If you make a site with FrontPage, it will look fine in IE but will be wrong if you view it in Netscape...

If you are not in a real rush for a website, email me the details and I’ll have a go at one for you…

Back