Musicians doing home sessions.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Ok. Obviously theres going to be some vast gulfs in musical tastes . So keep it civil but theres some cracking music going on for free and in good spirit at the moment and no Joe Wickes in sight. Thank f#ck.
Passenger has started doing a sunday evening special I just noticed last night.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg6flc9Bz5I
As has Daoiri Farrell.
https://www.youtube.com/user/daoiri1
My musical tastes won't be to everyone's liking so please feel free to share. I for one love to find new music even if it's a little challenging. Go ahead.
There's some great stuff going on. Share it. :D
We could all do with something new.

Planet rock did some lockdown sessions recently, Sat night & repeated last night, very good.
Samantha fish played a superb acoustic set from her living room.
She is also doing a live set every Friday on facebook, tonight is cigar box guitar session so should be good!

listened to passangers set yesterday whilst working.
Larkin Poe haven't done a live set yet but release a song a week on youtube already so they've been gone .

been some good theatre put on youtube recently too.

Nothing "professional" or for the "entertainment" of the public (I don't think anyone else but "invitees" with the log in and password could join in or even listen/look in), but one of the choirs I belong to had a virtual session on Zoom the other evening.

Not the same as being there, but with Zoom you can have a sort of split screen and see about 20 people all at the same time (we had 28 in total) plus the choir leader - AND she can mute out individuals if she feels the need at any point!

As said, not the same as all being together in the same room of course, but better than nothing.

I've been using Skype for years when working, but that was my 1st go with Zoom. Seems to work fine, and most important for any music, there didn't seem to be the slightest built in delay in hearing everyone else (so no excuses for being half a beat too late/early!).

Only problem was, as we were all apparently using the "free" version, (I've no info about charges, we were all in for free, based on an E-mail "invitation" sent by the choir leader) after about 25 mins everything goes dead. But that's no real problem, you just log back in again and off it all goes again. In total we had nigh on 2 hours "together" the other night.

Thanks for the above links fellas, some interesting stuff there (someone has a very nice voice as well as playing very well I thought) but sorry, I have nothing to add to those links myself.

Edit for P.S. Sorry to be an ignorant Bm101, but who's Joe Wickes please?

No ignorance Aes. Hes not a bad guy. Doing fitness sessions on youtube that have become very popular since lockdown. More a personal rational fear of aerobic exercise than any personal dislike. :wink:

Btw. Be careful with zoom. Check out some of the privacy fears with it online. Just mentioning it for awareness.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... y-52133349

Keep the suggestions coming guys. Looking forward to finding some new music.

Novocaine if you like Passenger check out his pinkpop appearance on youtube a few years back.

OK, thanks Bm101. I don't do TV/on-line, etc, fitness exercises - just the daily "set ones" that I was given by the Physio in hospital, and no music is needed for those!

Thanks for the info on Zoom too. Being a newbie to that I wasn't aware.

Cheers, stay healthy.

Great idea for a thread BM101!
I've been watching the Dunwells at 6pm every night on their Facebook. They're a brother duo who usually have really lovely harmonies, but at the moment as they're isolated apart they're just doing songs individually - great songs still though.
I've also caught a couple of Frank Turner's live sessions on a Thursday night where he's playing through whole albums (acoustically) as a fund raiser for local music venues.
Scouting for Girls (well the front man Roy) has been doing some fun gigs interspersed with pub quiz questions. I can't remember if they're on his Facebook or Instagram.

I heard something about Bruce Springsteen doing a live performance but I think I've missed it and not sure where it was broadcast.

Quite a few people out there doing their bit to make life a bit more bearable. There have been a few performances for the globalcitizen / WHO #togetherathome series, most are available on YouTube, kicked off with Chris Martin and included my favourite, Amy Lee O:) .

There's this - One World: Together At Home which it says will be on BBC1 7-9pm tomorrow (18/4/20).

If all that's not your cup of tea, even the living legend Joan Baez has been doing her best to help.

Novocaine....can you see my youtube history?! :shock:

Ok... not a home session but if you haven't seen him you'll have heard a song or two by him.
Tim Eriksen and his mate Riley Baugaus.
https://youtu.be/sFpU3zslpHw

Ok back on topic! Finally got furlowed today so I'm looking forward to some shed time and catching up on the links.
Great stuff.
Thanks all!

Quite a nice bit of nostalgia there with Gypsy - I saw Suzanne Vega at the NEC in 1987(?) , Solitude Standing tour. Long ago !

But we are drifting rather from artists performing in lockdown from their homes, which was the original topic.

A bit of drift is positively healthy where music is concerned Tony. Should be encouraged!
The legend Liam O'Flynn.
Won't be everyone's favourite. By a country mile. But if you want to hear the pipes played properly... sit back.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1TLTR8hgo

I don't know what you lot are prattling on about. Music ended in 1994 with the release of Division Bell. There has been no music since, obviously.

Bm101":2qlxgkww said:
A bit of drift is positively healthy where music is concerned Tony. Should be encouraged!
Fair enough.
The legend Liam O'Flynn.
Won't be everyone's favourite. By a country mile.
Excellent. Stopped what I was doing for that. The Irish pipes are so much more civilized than their weaponised Scottish cousins. Quite like a bit of Davey Spillane too.

Latest posts

Back