Music/Tools interface

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossJarvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Currently musing philosophically here. Just wondering if anyone has got to the point where they have all the "records" (other recording mediums are available) they need?

In the same vein, has anyone now got all the tools they need?

It brings to mind a comment I heard years ago where someone said that it must be really hard to be a composer as "most tunes have been discovered by now". I wonder if the same is true of tools?

being content is important, count your blessings. I genuinely think there is a point where you need no new tools, and when it gets to that point, it's time to build the tool chest. This is the joy of hand tool woodworking, it's just maintenance once they are there and rust prevention, it can definitely become an obsession, for example wanting every single lie neilsen plane from a no1 through to no 8, does anyone REALLY need them all? I'm not convinced, it's not pokemon go where you get a reward for having them all, you just have less money and more tools to keep sharp.

Some good points there tyreman. A few years ago I managed to limit my hand tools down to a select few and then I went into business and the power tools went up in volume.

I probably don't need more than 5 electric drills but having at least 2 comes in handy when putting a few hundred screws in. Additionally Scraping 1/16" of rust off my Lie Nielsen block plane doesn't really worry me so much these days as long as the cutting edge is clean.

There are a few tools I need, no more than three hand planes for instance. 9 different hand saws seem to cover all of my needs, two routers (electric). A couple of circular saws, two sanders, one vacuum. My combi square is probably my most important tool (really really don't buy Starret or any of the cheap rubbish, there's only one that works and it's not available in the UK).

It really depends on the work you're doing, because I'm not a cabinet maker, nor want to be so I don't need his tools. But I do need all the tools I need and no more, which is fairly hard to work out.

All my tools also need to fit in the van to go to site so I can't have workshop only tools (I have no workshop).

In a way I'm a bit of a fraud on this site as I have no "workshop" apart from the open air, hopefully that doesn't count.

I have a nice classical music collection with which I'm satisfied and as contemporary/ popular
music goes, I have stopped following the various trends when Punk faded out.
Sometimes I hear a new tune I like on the radio, but can't be bothered to remember its title
or the author.
As for tools and machines, I mostly buy the things that wear out. Router and drill bits, various blades
sometimes a new cutter head or if a power tool burns up, but nothing major. If I run into a cheap old hand plane
or saw of various kinds, I cant resist buying, but I don't really need it.
I have considered outfitting the shop with newer machines, but space was always a limiting factor, so
I decided not to.
An interesting parallel (music/ tools), nevertheless.

I don't listen to music very much, Radio 3 sometimes, and I have a small collection of John Coltrane, Miles Davis recordings.

I have all the tools I'm ever likely to need, a workshop full - far, far too many to fit in any tool chest. :)

Everyone has every tool & record they will ever need..... until they discover another one they really need as well.

I see it a bit dfferently...but no surprise there!

I def agree that being content ... as per Camus's view of Sisyphus ... is important

However, I rather hope that there'll always be creativity ..whether in music or woodwork or any other area for that matter. It seems to me that hybridisation of fields and collaborative work with those who have dffering skills and life experiences is a prime route to creativity.

I happen to be interested in the crossover between wood, silver and resin ... makes me happy ...might come to nothing but its fun to explore

In music I like a group called Lau .. three guys with a folk heritage (violin, squeeze box & guitar) .. but with quite different mindsets and over the past few years their work has shifted dramatically..they collaborate with so many others and help bring on new blood.

So ... am I happy with what I'm doing ...of course ..will I explore lots of other areas, find new music and want new and different tools ...of course ... I dont even have a router ..lol...never mind a way to lathe mount it ... (though there is a thread on here I've been watching about that ....!)

In my view creativity is key ! (but that's me!)

Back