Music stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kidneycutter

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to make a wooden music stand here's a vague idea of what it might look like.....three legs
image.jpeg

My dilemma is the joints for the legs. I m thinking of turning the central column then making a box/jig that will sit over the work onto the lathe bed so I can rout out a mortise. I was also going to mark out thirds on my head stock collar and just rotate the work then make th mortise then scribe the shoulder as the joints not square.
Any thoughts of how to Tackle?

I'm going to make a wooden music stand here's a vague idea of what it might look like.....three legs
View attachment 97746
My dilemma is the joints for the legs. I m thinking of turning the central column then making a box/jig that will sit over the work onto the lathe bed so I can rout out a mortise. I was also going to mark out thirds on my head stock collar and just rotate the work then make th mortise then scribe the shoulder as the joints not square.
Any thoughts of how to Tackle?
If you rout out a further recess around the mortise, the shoulder on the legs could be square. An easy routing job as you have the hub positioned on the lathe, and much simpler cutting the tenons and shoulder.

If you rout out a further recess around the mortise, the shoulder on the legs could be square. An easy routing job as you have the hub positioned on the lathe, and much simpler cutting the tenons and shoulder.
good point, thtas what i'll do ...i was nearly there ..thanks

For the loads that a music stand takes, a couple of glued dowels on each leg should be enough if you want a simple answer. Shape the column or shape the end of the leg. Agree though a mortice or dovetail slid in from the bottom would be ideal but I have a great capacity for messing up such things.

I'm not a musician but my family all play. Easy and reliable height adjustment appears to be critical based on the number of 'can you fix it' requests I get from them. A nice wooden stand would be great, your post has got me thinking .......

what about a sliding dovetail?
could do, but would like to finish the bottom with a nice bead.
For the loads that a music stand takes, a couple of glued dowels on each leg should be enough if you want a simple answer. Shape the column or shape the end of the leg. Agree though a mortice or dovetail slid in from the bottom would be ideal but I have a great capacity for messing up such things.

I'm not a musician but my family all play. Easy and reliable height adjustment appears to be critical based on the number of 'can you fix it' requests I get from them. A nice wooden stand would be great, your post has got me thinking .......
the height ajust ment is another conundrum. im planning tobore out the main cylinder and and have asmaller one that slides inside then im hoping to make some threaded pegs for the two adjustments, i only have a 3/4" metal tap and die old coarse thread but soaking the peags in oil should help with the cutting. any way im a long way off from that stage!

The last one I made had a carriage that slide up and down the central support and magnets were embedded in the holes in that support, the knurled brass pins had a steel tip and were pulled into position with a very satisfying thunk by the magnet.
View attachment 97771

Can we some more of that piece please?

Not that I’ve ever had a use for one, but I’ve always wanted to make one

Aidan

You could just screw in a threaded insert, have a look on screwfix or the cunningly named "the insert company".

For design ideas you could look at the early music shop website, accessories, music stands. A range of regency, georgian etc designs. I rather like the EMS double music stand so you can look longingly into your beloved's eyes as you play your flute duets .... add thrills to the trills?

Back